Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3012 choke problem

rick66

I picked up the 3012 that was on Ebay recently. I'm trying to dial in the carb but when I open the choke the engine dies. It has to be ran half choke. Is this because of a possible valve leak or rings leaking, maybe a little of both? The engine is not smoking. Thanks, Rick

More than likely a gasket leak between Carb an manifold or manifold an block or a vacuum leak around a worn throttle shaft bore

Since the engine will run on choke, you can easily check the gaskets that Maynard shows in his picture. I use either carb cleaner or starter fluid. With the engine running, spray the fluid around the gaskets. When you hit the leak, the engine will either speed up or slow down because of the change in mixture. That way you can find out exactly which gasket is leaking, and where, or if there is no leak.

I found it to be a PITA to try and keep those gaskets lined up properly, especially when you're fighting the shroud. I replaced the bolts that hold everything in place with studs. Much easier to work with.

Well, I tried to spray starter fluid onto the manifold sealing areas when it was running. No difference, I checked the compression and it is around 80-90. I dumped in a little oil and it came up to 100. Is this about normal? I don't think it's to low to mess up the choke. What do you think?

Did you spray around the throttle shaft? You have a vacuum leak, that is why it will only run good with the choke on. With the choke on you are restricting the air intake richening the mixture. You can also use water in a Windex spray bottle.

Mine was timing. All I had to do was put in an electronic module. I tryed cleaning carb and points but to no avail. The module ran it. The carb adusted to it. In fact the mixture is pretty rich. It seems to like that though. sm01 Patrick ( eng# 300421)