Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
robh

removal of front wheel on 700/725

robh
What is the secret to removing the front wheel from the spindle on these old tractors? There appears to be a collar on the spindle preventing the wheel bearings from sliding off. I tried driving the wheel assembly off with a wood block and hammer but only splintered the wood. I next tried heating the collar with a propane torch thinking it might be a shrink fit but again had no success. I could find no set screw or spanner wrench holes so how is the collar attached?I ordered tires today and hope to have the rims cleaned and painted by the time they get here. I also ordered a service manual today but thats not helping me tonight.I'm hoping one of you can. Thanks in advance,Robh

richp
Look real hard, there is a set screw on there somewhere. All the one's i have seen have a setscrew. It might be filled with grease.

KenW
There is an alan head set screw in the collar...it may be covered with dirt or grease. Hopefully you do not need to drill it out. Good luck Ken W

RodStayner
I just went out and looked again,still cant find it.I have two tractors,on both the left hand wheel assembly have the collar with an obvious set screw.This collar is external to the rim.The right hand side is the one giving me problems.On one tractor the wheel is secured with a 3/8"bolt and flat washer,removing them reveals the collar(which is partialy recessed in the rim). This is the one I cant figure out. I still can't see a set screw but something is definitely holding it in place. What am I not seeing? Any advice would be appreciated. The other tractor is basically the same less the bolt and washer.Thanks Rich and Ken for your help. Rob H.