Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mike_sdak

5-rib V61 front tires

mike_sdak
Hello. I am considering installing a set of V61 5-rib tires on the front of my 917, for better steering in the snow. I believe Miller Tire carries them. They are apparently big with deere guys: http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/discus/messages/17/113758.html?1254869654#POST65455 They are a tube-type tire. My question is: Will I be able to install them myself? I have no tire changing equipment, just dish soap, screwdrivers, air compressor, etc. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult?

HubbardRA
Mike, I change my own tires on cars, tractors, golf carts etc. The only thing that becomes difficult at times is breaking the bead loose from the rim. I have a manual tire changer, so I usually don't have a problem. Before I got the tire changer from Harbor Freight, I would lay the tire under the trailer hitch of my Suburban and place a bottle jack on the bead, then jack up against the hitch like I was going to lift the Suburban. This would push the bead down. If it didn't pop loose, then I would rotate the wheel a little to push beside the first place, which takes the bead down a little at a time as you rotate the wheel and push down on the bead. It will eventually come loose. Then turn the wheel over and do the same on the other side. Also, make sure you take the tire off the wheel from the correct side so that the bead opposite the place you are using the prybar can drop down into the low portion of the wheel. It is nearly impossible to remove or install a tire from the wrong side of a wheel. The correct side is "usually" the front side, but I have seen a few wheels that install from the rear.

GregB
I'm not really sure how they would help much in the snow, they are fairly flat to look at. Not like the tri-Ribs that have the center rib higher than the outside ribs.

mike_sdak
Thanks fellas. GregB: I don't know about the snow performance. It sounds like they would be better than the turf tires (per WFM discussions). Here is my thought process: Carlisle turf masters are about 35.00 each at my local TSC. Add tax, and it is about the same as buying a pair of the V61s (I was quoted 82.78 shipped, for a pair of 16x6.5-8's from Tires Unlimited). The tri-ribs are off the page for me, due to cost.

rm
a while back some one posted front tire chains (bike chain) i think that might work better I DO LIKE THE LOOK OF THE TIRES THOUGH THEY ARE COOL

ac.d17iv
I don't have a pair of V61's, but they are on my buy list for my 712. I really like the looks and they are popular with the Deere guys. $82 is a great price...does that include the tubes? Make sure to post pics!

mike_sdak
Dave, Yes, it does include tubes, and free shipping (its over 69.00). I have one concern - they are a bit taller than the stock carlisles, by looking at the deere guys' forum. I think this would effectively raise the front of my mower deck by 1/2 to 1". I know the mower deck can be leveled (I did that last summer), but I can't remember if I have that much adjustment left in it....

B10Dave
:O] Dish soap,(screw drivers ????),air compressor etc. Do yourself a large favour and buy a set of tire levers from a motorcycle shop or other source for 12 in. levers. They will save you from many tube punctures and mega frustration.dOd