Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

convert 16hp briggs from S/G to gear drive?

mike_sdak

I have that older briggs 326400 series with a starter/generator, which I intend to put in my 917. Has anyone "converted" a briggs like this from Starter-Generator to Gear-drive starter with Stator? It would be more like the Kohler setup then, and hopefully I wouldn't need to mess with the wiring (I have a coil on the briggs, already). I think I would need a new flywheel, a starter, and mounts, and a stator. And likely, a Briggs rectifier. The advantages? I wouldn't lose HP to the S/Gen; and I could retain the stock wiring. Disadvantages? Hassle, I suppose. Cost may be a wash, as I certainly need a voltage regulator, and maybe a new S/G, depending on if it charges properly or not. Thoughts?

You would need a different rear PTO cover as well. Yours is not drilled and tapped for a stator. Your KT 17 is battery ignition and both the Briggs are not. So you would still have to change the ignition switch or you will destroy the magneto or magnetron armature. You will have to do some rewiring. I believe Al Eden has a harness so that you can use you original switch. You would need a flywheel for a magnetron armature, ring gear starter, stator a voltage regulator. Also before you buy all those parts you better make sure the block is drilled and tapped for the ring gear starter.

Ray, Thanks for the reply. In looking into those parts a bit further, I've decided it isn't worth pursuing - buying new parts to make the switch (plus a used flywheel) will probably cost 3-$400, plus hassle. For my dollar, if I want the gear start, I just better find another motor.

As far as picking up any HP via stator, it about a wash. You still need HP to produce electricity. The Briggs way will be a tad better efficient, but nothing you'll notice. And if you have an energized to run ignition system, you won't be messing up original wire harness just complimenting it.

I have seen a few B&S ring gear engines converted to S/G because the ring starter mount breaks. The nice thing is that S/G only needs to operate as a starter which rarely fails.