Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7790/920 Diesel Muffler Guard

Engine is running good and now I have some cosmetic things to deal with. The muffler guard is long gone and is no longer available from Simplicity. Unless someone has a source that they would share, I'm going to have to try and make something. Is the original one aluminum, plated steel, or aluminum?? How thick is it?? The other choice, I suppose, is to clean the muffler up and paint it with black hi-temp header paint.

Before I retired, I managed a manufacturing operation where I could have had one made out of stainless with a laser cutter. I wonder how many I could sell for $75-100?? Probably not enough to have 10 made. I guess the next thing is to research hi-temp paints.

My fireplace insert fot to 1000 degrees more then once. Not sure how hot a muffler gets? The paint did hold up fine.

I would still like to investigate making one. Does anyone have one that they could give me the dimensions from including the slot dimensions? I would sure appreciate it.

I might have my old one but I will have to find it in the garage. it is the same material as used on Thrush Side pipes and heat guards for truck stacks.