Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity_728

Tranny Problem

Simplicity_728
The tranny on my 728 just started acting up. With the shift in Neutral it moves forward and in reverse the tranny locks up and I can't get it into 2nd or 3rd.

Brettw
I had that issue on mine. Worn shift forks. With a bit of prodding and rattling and misc other colorful words and such, I would get it to pop back out of the mode it was in. It's been years and I don't remember how I did it exactly, but it would be ok for some time, and then the issue again. Had to be careful shifting with the worn forks.

bud119195
I have had same problem on a few of my old broadmoors and yeomans. Its not the forks that wear it is the hi-lo pinion gear that wears out.take top plug out of tranny and with a long flat screwdriver slide the piece that is straigt in the hole to the right and it should pop back into nuetral. hopefully this helps

UCD
Technical Tips & Articles What to look for When buying a vintage Simplicity or Allis Chalmers Garden Tractor http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109736 Simplicity and Allis Chalmers tranny repair http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqnPXZEV0ZE

bud119195
yes .or tear tranny apart and see what gear you stripped. I have a few different ones if you can figure out what one you need.

UCD
First Question do you have the 2 speed 728 Broadmoor transmission or has it been changed to the 3 speed Broadmoor Transmission. You do not have a stripped gear. If you had a stripped gear the tractor would move in the other gears but when put into the stripped gear it would not move. (like it was in neutral) If the tractor moves forward with shifter in neutral, the shifter has jumped out of the fork for that gear and the transmission is still engaged in a forward gear. When you put it in reverse you are engaging the reverse gear and now have 2 gears engaged there by locking/binding the transmission. You have to put the reverse gear back into neutral. With the shifter in neutral you now have to get the other gear fork back into neutral. If you do not have an access hole to get a screwdriver into you will then have to split the case and do it and while you have the case split you should replace the warn parts so it don't happen again. No Sean's Video links are not for the 728 transmission but the principle is the same for unlocking any transmission. Getting access to the shift forks and positioning them all back to neutral. The forks are #13 blue reverse and #14 red High-Lo the Shifter end is #7 blue The pipe plug #9 orange could be used as an access point to insert a bent screwdriver to get both forks back to the neutral position with the shifter end #7 in the slot between them.

henroan
I have this same problem with my 725. I took it apart and found that the pinion assembly wss broken. The plate on that gear was sheared off. I'm afraid to weld because I think the heat will take it out of round, and I would never get it back on. So I'm going to replace it with another. This might be your problem. Patrick sm01

bud119195
quote:
Originally posted by UCD You do not have a stripped gear. If you had a stripped gear the tractor would move in the other gears but when put into the stripped gear it would not move. (like it was in nuetral)
[img]/club2/attach/UCD/728BroadmoorTransmission.JPG[/img]

Iwould lay money down that if you tear tranny apart that the hi lo pinion gear is stripped out(part29)in UCD's pic I have replaced 3 transmissions in the last 2 years and every one I tear apart has same problem.transmission pops out of gear and gets stuckin between gears and will not go into nuetral