Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Got me Another Small Frame

ZippoVarga

Well.....After getting rid of my old 64 Broadmoor a few years back I finally found a suitable replacement. This is a 1971 728 Broadmoor that's a real survivor. I've made a couple changes. Added rear ags and put 4 inch saw tooth tires on front then added another of my stainless custom exhausts. Runs like a top but will need a head gasket and crank case gasket soon. I am proud to add a replacement small frame to the fleet because it was a similar machine that got me hooked on Simplicities and A/Cs to begin with. Enjoy the pics!!

Thanks Tim! I couldn't pass up the deal and had been looking for a small frame. This one fits the bill nicely.

Hi Zippo, nice looking little guy! Hey, do you have a trick for getting the ags on? I struggled a great deal putting one on last fall. Have not gotten around to the other side yet.... Rick

nice look-in little tractor ^. use black magic tire wet spray on the beads to assist in mounting tires. or a good soap & water mix in a spray bottle.

That's one nice Broadmoor there Sean. I'm thinking one or two more years with my Serf and then an upgrade is going to be needed.

That stack is sweet too. I use lots of soap and a rubber mallet. Just try not to strike the rim, it WILL bend.

I started out with a 1964 Broadmoor that was tough as nails. Now that I have a bunch of large frames, this little guy will have it easy around here..lol. I have been mounting my own tires for years now. The easiest way I've found to do them is soap them up like Perry said. Make doubly sure that you are mounting the second one in the right direction or you'll be doing the same tire twice! lol I'll get a video done on how I do my home brew of changing tires. It's what works for me and maybe for you also. A little hard to explain on here.

Appreciate it Sean. I need all the assistance I can get.... Slippery should help quite a bit. If I remember, it was a cool day and I would thing a nice hot day would work best.

Thanks Kenny! Hey Rick.....I did a three part "how to" series on changing tires but I didn't like it. I'm going to do another set tomorrow. Hopefully with better results. Keep an eye on my youtube videos and I'll post a link here when I get them on. There is a link to my youtube videos in the tech section.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey dude, awesome little thing ya got there! Having a nice small frame is pretty good to have. Kinda small after you get around 6'4 tall, but still fun :D

Nice tractor! I started with small frames and will always have a couple of them around, even if I don't really use them.

It's a thing of beauty Sean. I would like to come across one of the little guy. Not many around my neck of the woods.

I measured the wheel base on the old Broadmoor and one of my large frames and they are within an inch of one another!! I didn't realize they were that close! Thanks for the compliments all and here's that link to tire changing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs_Gpn5i3_0

Sean. Just watched your video on tire changing. And as always another great video. What method do you use to break the bead? Thank's, Jim.........

• 1 month later...
Hey Jim.....Sorry for the delayed answer..lol. I have a deep jaw vise that I can fit up to a 23x10.5x12 wheel and tire into and I break the bead that way. There are a bunch of clever ways that other members use to break the beads on old stuck on tires. A search should bring some of those other home brew ideas up.

A Big Thanks to Timflury for parting with his 3.50x6 Tri bar tires, tubes and primed wheels, the old Broadmoor now has the Ags out back and Tri Bars in the front. I'm in the process of replacing the oil pan gasket so the old girl is in pieces while I make some repairs and clean things up. Here's some pics of the rolling chassis with her new skins.

Next to the Firestone 16x6.5x8s...Just gotta order more hubcaps to cover those new 6 inch wheels and beautiful tires. Thanks again Tim!!

Them rims painted up REAL nice!!! The tires actually look a lot more true to form after being aired up. Look at what I'm working on. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=111678

I noticed that about my rear ags. I still have my original front tires on their original rims. I'll check the height the next time I'm out in the shop. I almost got the larger rear Ags when I picked up the stock size....wished now that I had gone ahead with my first instinct. Oh Well!! They still look and work better than the old Goodyear originals.