Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Viva-la-B-110

Carb troubles... Again... *sigh*

Viva-la-B-110
Hey guys-- I've posted on here concerning carb troubles I've had with my B-110. I'm no mechanical genius but it got to where every year I'd have to take the carb apart, clean it, and reassemble it before I could start mowing. Last fall I put in a 16hp engine, identical to the original except that it had more power. I fired it up and started mowing-- it worked like a charm until I got near the end of the job and then it started choking down for no reason I could see. I also noticed the card seemed to be leaking gas over the winter. This spring I cranked it to haul some limbs and such out of the yard with a little dump cart. The engine would run fine for a few minutes at a time before it started choking down and eventually die, even when it was under no load at all. There was no smoke or anything. So I decided to rebuild the carb and put in a new float, needle, jet, etc. and now it won't start at all beyond running high for a few seconds and then dying. To be honest this is getting to be an expensice and time consuming-- not to mention frustrating enterprise. Any tips? Or should I just roll it off a cliff? Thanks! --Chris

Viva-la-B-110
I've considered it might be the screen, but I also just cleaned that not too long ago when I put in the new engine and the gas flow is strong when I diconnect the line.

Tom45
Using a flashlight you should look throught the tank filler opening and check the tank condition (preferably with little gas in it). If it has started to rust inside it will cause carb problems. If so, you will need to use a gas tank sealer on it. Tom

goatfarmer
Where is the cliff you're going to roll it off of?XX( I've noticed that most of those carb's leak when they're sitting. Fuel shutoff solves that. Are you treating the gas with StaBil over the winter? That helps tremendously.

JimDk
I had the same problem with a 10 hp Briggs. I rebuilt the carb and still had the problem, changed the condenser and the problem went away. I stubbornly refused to think that a nearly new condenser could be bad, but it was.