Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dav

dummy moment

Recommended Posts

dav
i left the ignition switch on on the 9 horse landlord. for about 3 weeks. the battery has enough charge to crank it over but i have no spark. what have i most likely damaged? the condensor? or the coil?(it still has the factory magneto set up).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UCD
You most likely Burnt the points. That is why in the old cars with points there was an accessories position on the key switch that by-passed the points so the radio could be played with the car not running. File the points and it should start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HubbardRA
You more than likely have burned a burr on the points which will prevent any current from being conducted across them. You either need to install a new set of points, or to remove the current ones and file or sand them flat and make sure they contact over the entire surface when they are closed, then re-install them and set the gap to .020. I Doubt that you damaged either the condenser or the coil. It is always a good idea to install a new condenser whenever you install new points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ReedS
I doubt that you hurt anything, but as for the no spark issue I'd check the points and probably give them a quick cleaning. The charging/starting system is completely separate from the ignition. The key switch serves as a switched ground which cancels out the points signal to the mag coil. When the ground circiut is complete the mag doesn't "see" the points open and close therefor no spark is produced. I suppose you could have a faulty ign switch but since it was left in the on position that's less likely. In the event that the points are clean you could disconnect the ign sw to make sure that there isn't a short to ground on that end of the circuit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Storm7012
quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
I doubt that you hurt anything, but as for the no spark issue I'd check the points and probably give them a quick cleaning. The charging/starting system is completely separate from the ignition. The key switch serves as a switched ground which cancels out the points signal to the mag coil. When the ground circiut is complete the mag doesn't "see" the points open and close therefor no spark is produced. I suppose you could have a faulty ign switch but since it was left in the on position that's less likely. In the event that the points are clean you could disconnect the ign sw to make sure that there isn't a short to ground on that end of the circuit.
That's what I thought, the switch being on isn't going to hurt anything. It's not battery ignition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MPH
When I started reading I was thinking like Reed, if the engine is not being turned over there is no current being produced so it shouldn't have hurt anything. Maynard and Rod's replies have me confussed now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
HubbardRA
Since I have two tractors with battery ignition, I was also thinking that way. I was wrong this time, leaving the ignition on will not burn the points. I would still check the points. On my tractors it is usually the points any time they won't start. The points need to work properly whether it is a battery or a magneto, or it will not start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×