Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
OrangeMetalGuy

Needle bearing in trans case

OrangeMetalGuy
This is on a 7016H. I am reassembling the trans after replacing the axle tube. Unfortunately one of the needle bearings came apart. It's this one:

Is the bearing I have circled on the left the one that goes in that hole? (it's the one with a cap on the end, not the one for the brake shaft). Also, does that bearing come with a tin cap on the end or do I have to salvage the old one? Can I drive the old bearing out without a bearing puller (which I don't have)?

wmgeorge
Is the bearing actually bad? If you can find all the needles just line the inside of the bearing race with some wheel bearing grease and put the little devils back in place. The grease hold the needles in place while you put it back together.

OrangeMetalGuy
That worked. I realized I could skew the bearings slightly sideways enough to get the last one in.

OrangeMetalGuy
Thanks for the tip. I was depressed enough when I realized I had to remove the trans (again) and bench it (gasket leaked- I am going to use Permatex's The Right Stuff to eliminate that problem)... when I saw that bearing I was ready to start drinking heavily.