Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3212V pto to mower deck belt pops off

bigdog46

I have a nice 3212V Simplicity with a Briggs 16 hp engine. I have a problem with the pto to mower deck belt popping off when I go from level ground up to a berm near the street. It has the double vee type belt. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Sounds like something isn't aligned right. Have you had the deck and arbors apart? Maybe the drive pulley is too high or too low? And, do you have the belt twisted the right way... I remember reading that if you have it reversed you may have that problem.

Yes, the belt is turned the correct way and the center arbor on the deck has good bearings. As for belt guides, I don't have any on that belt from the pto to the deck pulley. Don't think that there was ever any guides there?

Maybe you did this already but take the belt off and flip it over so the top is now on the bottom. I know this sounds crazy, but we had a new belt on a A-C "C" with a 72" Woods belly mower that kept coming off. Our old farmer neighbor told us to flip it over so we did. It never came off again. Evidently, the longer the belt, the more "set" they can acquire during the mfg. process. I don't know if your belt is new or not. FWIW