Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TimJr

some people shouldn't weld

TimJr
This is the 728 Broadmoor I just parted out. I didn't feel too bad about not saving it due to the frame damage and poor repairs that had been done to it. The front axle was broken on both sides at the spindle mounts, and rewelded very poorly. The alignment was off on caster and camber so far that the tractor was weird to just push around, let alone what it must have been like to mow in a straight line. The LF tire would hit the mower deck and jam up. The trans mounting plate was broken and welded too, but must have been done by a better welder. The idler arm mount is crooked though. Poor tractor must have led a really hard life with damage like that.

What's the old saying - measure twice, cut once? Same principle would have helped this old girl. Tim

SmilinSam
My personal favorite is when the differential goes bad on a Landlord or Soveriegn type, rather than take it apart and fix it, they just weld the differential wheel hub to the axlesm00

goatfarmer
My first Simplicity was a 3410 Landlord, still have it. Someone had broken the stud that held the cone clutch to the PTO shaft, and welded the cone clutch to the shaft. It takes all kinds.....:o)

TimJr
Those are pretty bad scenarios. I understand the "fix it now" end of it, but the long term of ruining the other parts should have outweighed those other repairs. Tim

TimJr
Yeah, starting somewhere is something we all went through, but choosing where to start is probably just as important as getting good at it. I know it's not a car going down the road, but seems like steering should be more important. Tim

bkassulke
You should see some of the stuff farmers bring me! i have no idea how it holds let alone how i could ever weld that poorly even when I am trying to.

RBE17
Those welds are horrible. I don't think my beginning welds were even that bad. Just about every bolt on my mower deck is welded thanks to a previous owner.

Sign in to follow this