Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric Lift Retrofit

lampoulos

Hey guys, My wife and I just bought a foreclosure out here in ND. It was left in pretty bad shape so we've been doing a lot of work to it. The past homeowner left a lot of crap behind. One of these items is an old hospital bed with two hefty electric lift cylinders mounted under it. I thought it was a good opportunity to get an electric lift retrofitted under my 6212.5, but am unsure of a way to convert from dc to ac to operate it. Has anyone attempted this before?

A gismo called a convertor, of proper size for the motor's amp requirement, is what you need. Weather or not the S/G on these tractors can handle one I don't know, most I have seen are made for auto's.

They are called Inverters. The deal is the more watts you need for those hefty cylinders the more watts it takes from your battery and the more expensive the inverter. Like for example; 300 watts is about 2.5 amps on 120 volts, ignoring losses in the conversion process. That would take 24 amps or so of battery power at 12.6 volts. Northern Tool, Harbor Freight and others also sell online.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. So not only am I going to have to find a place for the cylinder, I'd also have to find a good spot to hide the inverter. Not too lofty I suppose, but one would have to wonder if it's worth it. I'll do some looking around to see what I can find.