Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shoeman

Noise with the clutch in

Shoeman
Hi Everybody, I'm new here. Nice site! I was given a '67 Landlord last fall. Been snowblowing with it this winter and I notice a lot of noise when the clutch is depressed to shift gears. If it was my old VW back in school I'd say it was the throwout bearing, but I don't know if these little rigs have the equivalent. Anybody have any advice? And I love this tractor. It's my first. I'll pick up the mowing deck from the old owner soon and can't wait to try that out.

MPH
Another possiblity is the brake band that stops the tranny from spinning. It may be worn out of pad. When you step in the clutch is it easy to shift gears with no grinding? If so, this brake is working ok. Might try raising the seat pan with tractor running, IN NETUAL, step in the clutch and see if you can 'follow' the noise to the source.

Storm7012
Seems like every old tractor I get has a noisy clutch. I end up replacing the plastic washer and the plastic bearing thing in the split pulley. Both parts are still available from simplicity.

rm
id say idler pulley, but check for wear its a easy machine to work on if you havent fell in love with it, you will great machine i have 3 working tractors

toad270
Become a Member to this site you'll never find this much info anywhere for $10.00 a year. download a manual for it. I would check the brake pad first to make sure it is stopping the belt so the gears don't grind. Next check the idler pulley. then buy a new plastic washer storm7012 recomended these will give you a lot of noise when you use the clutch.

Shoeman
Thanks for the help. It's not the easiest thing to shift, so the brake band might be the culprit. So the belts should not be moving at all with the pedal fully depressed?

MPH
------So the belts should not be moving at all with the pedal fully depressed?----- That is correct. Besides for the brake band, there are belt guides which keep the belt close enough to the pulley to prevent it from turning the pulleys as it "flies" out too far.

Shoeman
I finally got around to tearing into my 2010. To update the story, in August it stopped moving under it's own power. The noise I had been hearing had gotten a bit worse up until that point. Long story short, the bevel gears in the BGB are wrecked. Any recommendations on a source for the gears and a few related part for this old a rig?

MrSteele
If you have a local Simplicity dealer, he can help with parts, if not, try one of our sponsors. I have great luck with Sandy Lake Implement, even better than my nearly local Simplicity dealer

dentwizz
Make sure you get the plastic faces for the clutch side pulley while you are at it. They contribute a lot to muting a similar rattle and they are easier to install while its all apart.

rsnik
Storm, I first heard Willy mention the "plastic washer and plastic bearing thing" in the split pulley on LL's. Willy described it accurately, but I didn't quite get it. It has finally sunk in that yes, Virginia, there is a split pulley and that has the plastic parts that are shot and is what makes the funny noises and why I have a grabby clutch.