Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

spark plug testers on ebay

a_sannine

is these spark plug testers on ebay that goes for like $6 any good thanks http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370343107373&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I can't access the link from this PC, but do you mean spark tester? Just hold the coil lead close to a head bolt and crank the engine over. Should get a nice blue spark from the lead to the head bolt. You can also just leave the coil connected to the plug and with the plug removed from the engine, rest it against a head bolt and crank. Should see the same blue spark. Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for. Point is, I wouldn't spent money on a spark tester and certainly not on a spark plug tester.

You can also use the 'tongue test' 1)Sight tinge to the throat---plug weak 2)ears burn,head hammers--- May be OK,borderline 3)All of the above plus smoke from shoes and beard is singed---good to go

The one you show might not work on all types of engines especially if you are checking some small 2 cycle units like on weed whackers. Even the tongue test won't work on these. This unit by Briggs is the best I have seen. On these type of engines you can not see the spark with the bolt test and you can place your finger on the lead and never feel a thing even though the spark is good. http://cgi.ebay.com/BRIGGS-STRATTON-Engine-Spark-Tester-Genuine-19368-NEW_W0QQitemZ330309015261QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4ce7f396dd

Many years ago my wifes uncle was trying to start a stubborn lawn mower. His wife was watching him. He told her to "hold this wire for a minute" and pulled the engine over. Yes, he has spark. Also had blood running from his nose. I think it might have hurt less to just hold the wire himself. Anyway, I guess a bloody nose equals good spark? Steve

quote:
Originally posted by AC_B-1Novice
I have one similar to that and it works fine. Quite handy in fact. larry
Ditto.

The larger gap on a spark tester is what simulates the load of fuel and air under compression in a running engine. It takes more juice to push that spark across the plug gap when in an engine than it does laying up against a head bolt. A good spark tester is a good, small investment - by plugging in line, you are better able to work around the engine while diagnosing problems, instead of loosing your ground from the plug vibrating away from clean metal and misleading you to a "no spark" conclusion. Tim

quote:
instead of loosing your ground from the plug vibrating away from clean metal and misleading you to a "no spark" conclusion.
or, to show spark when one really wouldn't exist in
quote:
It takes more juice to push that spark across the plug gap when in an engine than it does laying up against a head bolt.
the real environment. I've read a number of stories on here about guys that "have spark" but can't get the engine to work, etc, and have then replaced the "good" plug with a new one and it fired right up.