Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Breather Tube .... UPDATE

Bailey

Finally finished the shuttle rebuild and turned my attention to the engine on the 3410. Idles, but tries to die just off idle and sputters while running WOT. Took the carb cleaner to it, looking for a bad gasket and got nothing. While poking around with the flashlight noticed the breather tube to the carb housing is completely missing. Shouldn't surprise me, the welch plug was missing when I picked up the tractor as well. Could the tube's absence explain the difficulty in getting the carb tuned in? Does anyone have a super-genious method for installing these? Every time I do it I end up cussing ..... a lot. So I decided to just swap in a freshly rebuilt carb that's waiting for the 7010 to be put back together. It has new everything including throttle shaft and bushings. Dain thing still not quite right. Tends to backfire when starting, and about 3/4 way through the throttle it starts to stutter. REALLY STARTING TO TORQUE ME OFF! No vacuum leaks, new breather and tube, cleaned and gapped plug, what's next?????

I have nothing that would rate as super-genius, but a little oil around the hose ends will make it slip on a bit easier. I would think that the mixture will not be correct until the tube is installed or at least the hole in the carb closed. Rick

Andy, If the tube is old and hard, throw it away and buy a new one. They are available at Sandy Lake Implement or Jacks Small Engines, not very expensive and much easier to install. I keep a couple on hand so I don't have to deal with the old brittle ones. Sounds like you may have to rebuild your carb if you can't get it dialed in. Can you try a carb off of another tractor? John U

I heated mine with my lighter that saved my a ton of trouble. Slid right in with a little oil and screwdriver. Patrick

I use brake fluid for a lubricant. It is not detrimental to the rubber, actually good for it, to keep it supple.

I'll try the spark plug.... fuel is fresh, but, the more I think about it fuel availability may be an issue. With all the replacement I've done, I've not replaced the fuel filter. I wonder if it's just not starving while I'm ramping up the throttle. Fuel float adjustment may be a concern too.....