Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
CDeHeer

Landlord got some new shoes

CDeHeer
I finally got a set of Ags after years of admiring others on the site. Wish I could have gotten the Carlilse super lug for the extra width but funding led me to the Nancos. I picked up the fronts last year at a barn sale.
[img]/club2/attach/CDeHeer/side1.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/CDeHeer/front1.JPG[/img]

Added some weight to counter the blade.

CDeHeer
Thanks for the compliments! The tube is a counterweight I fabbed up using a 24" length of 4" x 4" x 5/8" wall steel tubing we had laying around the shop. I angled the bottom and welded a plate on and welded two pieces of tubing to correspond with the hitch bracket for mounting. Tube alone weighed in at 65# top is open so I can add additional weight and the plastic cap keeps the rain out.

ZippoVarga
I'm glad you clarified what the black tube was! I thought it was a missile launcher!! hehe...I have a power Max front weight that is square tube steel filled with buck shot. It's about half that size and weighs in at over 70lbs!! You could really load down the back of that Landlord if you had to!! Looks great on all four corners, no matter the maker. dOd

Burntime
That really does take the tame out of that thing! Very Nice! Whats the price between the two ags? I don't even need them but they sure look cool!

RayS
Here is a reasonable price for the wider ones. http://cgi.ebay.com/23X10-50-12-23X1050-12-LUG-TIRES-TRACTOR-TRENCHER-PAIR_W0QQitemZ310159896860QQcategoryZ82248QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D20%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8374969950507768485

CDeHeer
Those are exactly the tires I bought. Same vendor even. Although they are 23 x 10.5 x 12 they are actually a little over 9" wide. The Carlisle Supers are 10+"

I've seen the Supers listed for $130 per. http://search.cartserver.com/search/search.cgi?cartid=a-8671&category=Carlisle&maxhits=50&keywords=CRL-510120

sammiefish
well, i guess that's why many (most) of us are probably still using our original Carlisle's ... sometimes ya' just might get what ya' pay fer' boy oh boy would i like a pair (or 2) of those Carlisle's!!

TimJr
I like the above pic to compare the tires and their widths. It amazes me how much these tires cost compared to car tires. I suppose the sales volume isn't there to keep costs down. I remember about 9 years ago I bought some of the Carlisles from a farm store in my area that went out of business - I think I paid $60-65 each for the tires then. I wanted a spare set in case I messed up the set I cut (trimmed) for pulling. Tim

ZippoVarga
How do the Super Lugs hold up being cut and gripping on the track when you're pulling? Those high dollar pulling tires are ridiculously expensive in my opinion. Like this set of Pit Bulls.... http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-26x12-00-12-Pit-Bull-Garden-Tractor-Puller-Tires_W0QQitemZ220518958224QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3357f44490 Wouldn't catch me paying that kind of money, I'm a tight wad...lol. Then there's the fronts!!! http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-new-3-50-8-Garden-Tractor-Puller-Front-Tires-Wheels_W0QQitemZ220517265218QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3357da6f42 I don't put that much coin into my vehicle tires, let alone on my tractor. Although, between the 6 RBTs I've got a lot tied up. Ten sets...5 each of fronts and backs and a mix of Super Lugs and Tru Powers, tri-bars and front ags. In all honesty...that's a lot of coin, but it's been evenly spread to the whole fleet. I could shoe two tractors for what one set of the Pit Bulls cost.

TimJr
They did pretty good. When I was pulling, it was a 7016 6 speed with a warmed up 16hp iron Briggs. It had to have a stock cam, stock appearing carb and stock stroke etc.. Fun, but not a total hot rod. Anyway, one other rule was 23" tires, hence the Carlisles. I have an actual tire cutting disc, and it worked great. Make sure you have a respirator mask - the rubber dust and smoke is horrible, and is probably instant lung cancer. I really needed to cut the original bars down more, which would have made the double cuts more effective. There was a definite advantage even without all the bars being the same height. There were just dozens of runs on those tires without being resharpened, so I would say the rubber was pretty good. If I pulled again, they would get the proper resharpening. I suppose if you are really built, and are allowed to run 26" tires, Cepeks or PitBulls do seem to be the way to go. If you aren't running aftermarket cam and carb, and spinning 6,000RPM or more, you probably just don't have the horsepower to really take advantage of such an expensive tire. Any of the run of the mill 26" tires would do for lesser tractors, IMO. Tim

Sign in to follow this