Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RickS

tractor upgrade

RickS
Hi, I am once again thinking of upgrading my snow removal rig. (I think my broken hip spurred the wife to think of doing some snow removal herself.) Currently I use a 7118H with a 42 inch blower. I have located a Sunstar (20 horse) with a two stage blower and a Legacy (23 horse) with a single stage 46 inch blower. Of these two units, which one would you suggest. I know the Sunstar is roughly the same age as my 7118 while the Legacy is about 10 years old. Maynard, I know you had some experience with the 2 stage blower on a Sunstar, can you comment on which you prefer. (I know you run a Legacy Diesel and strongly recommend it.) Any one else jump in as well. All opinions are welcome. thanks Rick......

OrangeMetalGuy
I think they both have the same drivetrain. I prefer the Sunstar's hand control myself. I have been thinking of upgrading too. Hydrolift and power steering would be very nice.

UCD
Hated the two stage on the Sunstar. The single stage will blow circles around it. Love the two stage on my legacy XL. Larger shear bolts and set up differently, they don't break as often. Almost didn't get the two stage with the Legacy XL because of the experence with the Sunstar two stage But happy that I did. The Legacy 23Hp with single stage blower should do great.

comet66
I can't speak to the two stage unit, but...I've been using an Ultima 1920 with a single stage blower for 18 Michigan winters now and never needed anything larger or more powerful. No matter how lite or heavy the snow is. I wish my Ultima had the foot control for the hydro. I never have liked the hand control. Especially when using my full hydraulic blade or the loader. Just not enough hands to do it all.

RickS
I have not had any trouble with the 7018 and the 42 inch blower it does what I need. With my broken hip, I needed a friend to clear the snow after one storm and he remarked to my wife that I move a lot of snow. Given the area that needs to be cleared I need to move the snow 3 or 4 times. In the end between the driveway and needed paths it takes me about 2 hours to clear the snow. My hope with the larger machine is I will move the snow less and thus cut down on the time needed to clear the snow. Plus my wife will feel more comfortable on the newer machine. She feels the older machine breaks down too often. (Only broken once in the years I have been using it; pto pulley fell off.)

RickS
Hi Scott, Assumming I purchase the Legacy, my plan is to keep my 7118 with the blower and trade in my 7012H. So I will have a back up machine. And that does not include a walk behind as well. My hope is the Legacy will throw the snow farther so I only have to move it once instead of multiple times. thanks Rick.........