Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Yeoman627

I salute the Snow Belt Gang

Yeoman627
I really have to salute you guys in the snow belt that have been moving BIG snow for years with a garden tractor. This is my first year. What a job! I worked 5 hours moving 12" and didn't get half done. When I came in the house for lunch, my wife was laughing. She said I looked like a gorilla on one of the grand kids' toys. Then she really hurt me. She sarcastically said my new project was, "Really a great improvement, it only took you 5 hours to do half the job that used to take you 1 hour the old way." She asked if that "thing" had lights because I wouldn't be done by dark. She was right! I went to the shop and got a Case loader to finish up. It was fueled and running when I got there and I was told, "We were expecting you hours ago." Even the neighbors had some kind of wisecrack AFTER I was done digging them out. I think I'll use the Simp for summer garden work, mowing, and snowfalls under 3". Just curious, how long do small engines last when run for hours against the governor with a load? Wishing you all a Healthy and Happy New Year, Century, and Millennium......

Hey Dutch, I have a Kubota B2400 with a 54" loader. It takes me over 2 hours to do my (over 1/8 mile long) driveway with about 4" of snow. My AC712H with 42" thrower takes less than 1/2 the time, and my HB212 with 42" thrower is even faster. How long do these engines run against the governor? Well my HB212 is 30 years old and has mowed 3+ acres and snoblowed the driveway all this time and the engine has not been opened up yet!!! I can't say the same for the 712 with the Kohler engine. :( Mike. PS. I live up here in NW Wisconsin i.e. lots of snow.

FiremanRon
In my opinion, a blade is okay if you normally get only a few inches at a time; but if you regularly get over 6 inches at a time, the blower is the way to go. If you get the heavy, wet, mashed potato type snow, the difference is even greater. I know some people have stories about moving large amounts of snow with small tractors, but they have endings like yours. My driveway, patio, and sidewalks take 30-40 minutes. The only time the snow depth is a factor, is how long it takes to get the shed door open.

Yeoman627
Hey guys, thanks for responding. I had time today to analyze my first time experience with my snowblower. The length of my driveway is comparable with Mike's (700'). It is 15' wide. It took 5 passes with my blower to clear it. That calculates to about 2/3 mile traveled. It took me about 1.5 hours. That calculates to less than 1/2 mph (I originally estimated 1-2 mph, I was way off). The driveway clearing went very nice, and the engine ran at close to full throttle without laboring. With some more experience I should be able to get the time down to about 1 hour (just like Mike). My problem began when I cleared the parking area in front and along side my house (about 3500sf). The snow had to be thrown away from the house in 1 direction (about 50'). My blower will only throw about 10', so I was moving the same snow multiple times. Each time I made a pass the snow was deeper and wetter. My chute and auger clogged repeatedly (I had to stop the engine and clear them), and the engine really labored and "pulled down." I spent about 3 hours on those 3500sf. I never even attempted to use the blower on another 10,000sf I had to clear behind my house. My loader did that job in about 20 minutes. In all fairness, the average homeowner would not have a 7 ton Case with a 72" bucket. After telling my wife and neighbors my "project" would be an improvement, I guess I was the target of ridicule because it usually takes me 1 hour to do the whole job sitting up and inside the Case, with the engine running at slightly above idle with the exhaust making a low mellow rumble. Compare that to me sitting outside on and around a "little" garden tractor for 5 hours with the exhaust making a high pitched shrill scream. But I haven't given up! If I can't modify that Kubota blower to throw like a Simplicity, I'll buy a Simplicity blower. I happen to like the "little" tractor that I saved from the scrap heap. I still salute you guys in the snow belt. No matter what equipment is available, I think moving snow gets "old" fast. It is so non-productive. Sort of like digging a hole and filling it back in. Thanks again and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy New Year.