Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I don't have mice..........

LesH

I don't have mice-- but my sparkplug wire was almost chewed off on two tractors. It looks like it was a raccoon-- it left tracks on the hood... My cat's probably thought those guys would be too much of a fight.

I had a pet raccoon once. We found him as a baby, half starved and covered with ticks. Kept him with us for a year, then turned him loose on my Grandpa's farm. He continued to live with them, even though he had his freedom. I thought he was just a mischievous baby, till I saw him take on four very large dogs at one time and come out with only one small scratch on his chin. There was blood everywhere, so I know the dogs were hurting. Raccoons can be "very" vicious at times. After the fight he came up to me and just wanted to be picked up and petted. He weighed about 40 pounds at that time, so a cat wouldn't stand a chance with him. Of course he had been beating up on our cats since he was only a few months old. It was just playing to him, but not to the cats. You can put some dry dog food out for them to eat, and that should keep them from chewing on the tractors.

Les...did they look like this?: http://www.bear-tracker.com/coon.html Hubbard: Not a good idea to keep a raccoon as a pet unless you can find a vet willing to give it shots. Raccoons are susceptible to distemper and often seem to turn on their owners when they get older. RBE: Mice chew the insulation for, well...insulation. They use it for their nests. I had one over the winter who was taking the stuffing out of one of my tractor seats. That was easy to spot so I trapped him soon enough. As for the raccoons--who knows--did you eat something with your hands then handle the wire by any chance? Raccoons are known to destroy things for no other reason than the pure joy of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Willy
I have a very good recipe for coon if you want it.:D:D Very tasty if you trim the fat off.
Trim the fat off? Don't you mean trim the meat off the fat?

My dad's black lab has it in for coons. When walking sloughs and bottom ground for pheasants, he mixes it up with any coon he comes across. It is a bit of a distraction from the hunting operation. Most of the time, he requires assistance to dispatch the coons. (And he's a big lab...those coons are tough, with all their padding and sharp teeth).

dOdHad a 95lb Shepard that kept the coons out of the sweet corn in the garden when we were still on the farm. Killed 4 or 5 in two years. Dog got cancer and I had to put him down. Went back to little lead pills to control coon population.dOd

The racoon tracks were like small hands-- with 5 fingers. I have heard that they like shiny things-- like tools..I guess I will have to lock my tool box too.........

raccons haha you should see a dog after it gets into it with a badger we have a few around these parts and the dog is almost dead by the time the badger is done with them. i call that one amazing creature!

i had 2 pet racoons when i was little. we had them on the farm awhile untill they decided to go their own way and we never saw them again. we did have a alot of chickens so i wonder if my dad shot the coons with out me knowing. i know now that coons and chickens dont mix. i can remember we had 2 pet turkeys, atleast i thought they where pets. they used to chase me and my sister around like it was a game. never did peck at us, my mom said they where mean but loved us kids. they would go after any delivery guy who showed up. my dad named them christmas & thanksgiving ;).

I had some critter that used to chew the insulation on the bottom of my Pathfinder hood then it stacked rocks all around my engine form the gravel driveway. It took me over an hour one time when I was doing a tune up to use one of those spring loaded grabber things you use when you drop a bolt in place you can't reach. Used it to pick rocks out from all over the engine. Also used to have rats that would eat the food under the feeders. They got dead with my .22 in a big hurry.