Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Roy

How Rare Are Front Hitches??

Roy
How rare are front hitches for a 7000 series tractor? From the Simplicity Accessories Manual.

Status of the one I'm making. Only lacks welding and paint.

More later,

PhanDad
Wow. Didn't even know one existed for RBT's. Gonna go into mass production and sell them to us? (cheap :D)

captainweezy
My first time also. Put me on top of the list to buy one also. I really have a good need for one. I have a new trailer that has a new home in my back shed but I don't think backing it will be very fun with tractor. I cant back it with my pickup because of my pine trees being too close. I would love to have one.:D

johnmonkey
great fab job there Roy (as usual). I see you used "natural" finish B). I see you bolted it on as opposed to pinning it. Keep up the good work. jh

GregB
Never saw one like that for the front. Is there enough distance from the center of the ball to the mounting plate for clearance of the trailer coupler?

Roy
"The front ball hitchs I have seen were the same as the rear with a second piece to pin to the front..." This type fits FDT's with the exposed front axle. Won't fit RBT's with the extended frame. "If not he could always weld up the hole and weld a tab on it." That's the plan. Will see how it works "as is" after welding. Have enough material to make four more. Will have to invest in some new band saw blades if I make more. Had problems with them leading off the desired cut line. Thanks all and stay tuned.

MPH
Careful on your nice workmanship Roy, these guys gonna pull you out of retirement and you'll be running an assembly line. Looks real good., even in 'natural' finish.;);)

stevenj
Roy, Use a 4-1/2" angle grinder with a metal cutoff wheel to make your cuts. It is very easy to stay right on the line and it cuts very fast. A quick clean up with a disc sander or a flap wheel on the angle grinder is all that is required.

Roy
Update: Did the welding and trimmed the angle iron pieces so the hood will open and stay open. Then tried it out with my trailer.

With the hood open. My hood is bashed in slightly so with a straight hood the hood won't open quite as far.

Need to drill two holes for the safety chains, paint, and then it will be finished. Love the ease which the trailer can be maneuvered with. Beats the heck out of backing up. All now, Edit: Agree on the 4.5" cutoff wheel. Need to get one. Might make a rear hitch or two like the one in first picture. No definite timetable yet.

Roy
Kenny, Safety chains kept that trailer and my metal lathe from going into the kitchen once. Failed to notice the coupler wasn't seated properly on the hitch ball. Always use safety chains.

Brettw
quote:
Safety chains kept that trailer and my metal lathe from going into the kitchen once.
Then again, safety chains, (depending on the load and the conditions) might just put the trailer, the metal lathe AND the 7018 in the kitchen! Nice work. When can I put in my order?

goatfarmer
quote:
Then again, safety chains, (depending on the load and the conditions) might just put the trailer, the metal lathe AND the 7018 in the kitchen!
That's what I'd be worried about! Sounds like you got 'er under control, as usual!dOd