Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
xenon172

Real Dirty Tank

xenon172
We were helping a friend with a machine that had a "carburetor problem" and he claimed the gas tank was clean and he had just bought fresh gas. So we took his word for it and rebuilt the carb, tested it on an engine that runs well and picked up a new fuel filter prior to going over to his place to put the carb back on. Engine ran great for about 30 seconds before the fuel filter plugged up and the engine starved to death. Took the carb and the gas tank back to the shop. Cleaned the tank with alcohol and marbles which does a pretty good job of getting rid of sludge and rust particles. When I dumped out the alcohol into a coffee can this is what it looked like. Took a couple of more treatments before the alcohol actually looked like alcohol and you could see the bottom of the can.

B10Dave
:D Quite a mess Adam. I use the same method as you except I use Hex nuts instead of marbles. The edges on the nuts seem to loosen up rust better for me. Hope the friends tractor is running better now.dOd

Storm7012
There's a radiator shop in few miles I take mine to. They split the tank and clean it put in back together and seal it for 25 bucks.

timflury
quote:
Originally posted by Storm7012
I like my coffee black :D
FUNNY FUNNY That's a good one Storm. Reminds me of my wife's coffee cup. It says,,, "NO coffee no workee"

Sign in to follow this