Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tune a carb ..... ten easy steps ....

Bailey

Step 1 - Waste half a tank of fuel trying to tune a carb that needs rebuilt. Assume slow cranking toward end of this process is due to low battery ...

Step 2 - Throw charger on battery while swapping carb with ugly but thoroughly rebuilt carb off the shelf ...

Step 3 - Fail to start with fresh carb due to discovering that low battery is not cause of slow cranking. Step 4 - Inadvertently confirm ignition system fires ...... ouch Step 5 - Discover strange squeaking in flywheel area while investigating slow cranking problem. Take photo of electrical connections to offset short-term memory issue ...

Step 6 - Self expanatory ...

Step 7 - Reset air gap, clean out mouse house ...

Step 8 - Re-install engine and determine S/G cause of slow cranking. Swipe S/G from other project and install ...

Step 9 - Tie up loose ends, turn key, and listen to it purr ...

Step 10 - Whiskey ..... lots of whiskey. There you have it ... a perfectly tuned carb in 10 easy steps !!!

Cause I've got 6 other tractors to work on, one already tore down waiting for paint. I need this one to mow with this year.....

After going to the house for the camera I think I would be inspired to skip to step 10.;) Either that or I would have remembered some other project on my way to the house and left that one alone for a while. These are the reasons I have so many unfinished projects.B) I will try to follow your step by step next time, maybe then something will get done.:D

Hey Shane!! The one time I tore apart a tractor to repair a hydro lift seal leak and to clean the machine up a little my buddy came over and said the same thing......turned out, I listened to him and restored a 1970 3212V Sovereign. Then my buddy HAD to have it!! lol....so....I just clean them up as best I can with out a nut and bolt full restoration. Andy.....been there done that. Mouse nests, tired starter generators, crappy carbs....it's what makes these old machines fun to trouble shoot!! Well....that, and the ample supply of whiskey...lol

Michiganmobileman
:DA candidate for tech tips section maybe? Thanks for the chuckle, glad it turned out OK. Greg

Step 4 & 6 I find extremely amusing.
quote:
Originally posted by captainweezy
hack you have the motor out, why not just restore it? :D
BTDT. That's reminiscent of my thoughts, "Well, I'm changing the oil, so I might as well do a cam swap" from my gear head days.