Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SmilinSam

Another Hybrid project-just thinking outloud

SmilinSam
A long time ago I thought about making a Hybrid out of a Sundstrand tractor and a B-10 or B-12. The other day( or week ..crssm00) Biggie Rat sent me a picture of the one he made. Got me to thinking about this subject again. I liked what Ron had done with his project by using a late model seat pan carved up to support the early original pan in the longer frame setting. I dont like to simply copy another ones work, so I am going to increase the difficulty level and approach this same hybrid combination in a different way. In my shop sits a DA 916 chasis (with hydraulic lift option)and a Simplicity 2012 chasis. I have sat in there for a few hours off and on all last week thinking and measuring. Here is what I am proposing to do: I am going to make a hybrid but retain the wheel base original to the 2012 short frame. This can be done by cutting back the transmission plates on the 916 frame 4" and then re cutting all the holes to mount the gear box 4" further back from the original location. The 2012 Gear box and PTO setup will have to be retained as there will not be any room for the 916 cone clutch idlers underneath in this shortened setting. Also the transmission used had to be a side mount oil filter version as there will not be any room underneath for the older remote filter setup. This is not without its problems as well, because even with the short filter, there will not likely be room for a tiller PTO setup to operate and clear the filter. So..this machine very well may not be able to use a roto tiller attachment. We will have to see about this after we get the tractor together. At Rod's suggestion, I looked into redesigning the 2012 transmission clutch assembly to work with this setup. I do believe it is viable with a few small alterations and repositioning, and a total redesign of the parking brake linkages. Its too early to see if the 916 hydrolift can be retro fitted into the 2012 frame and tinwork like I did on the HB -116 hybrid Maynard now has. The only potential problems I see right now might be in clearance in relation to the shift patter plate. Will know better when I get things assembled some. If it looks too bad I could alway opt to use the upper tinwork from and make this hybrid on a 2200 series short frame, as I also have access to one of those. We will try the 2012 first though and exaust all options there before captulating to that. The seat pan on the 2012 will have to be raised up about 2", and that is after trimming down the air shroud on the tranny and the push release leaver. I dont thing the heighth or length on the hydro control linkages will be a problem that cant be rectified. After raising the pan I can weld in a plate into the pan between your legs to fill the gap there. It is my hopes to have a functioning , working Sundstrand tractor on the same short wheel base when done, albeit perhaps minus the ability to rototill. I'll try to get plenty of progressive pictures as I get underway with this project;)

UCD
Sam Two ways you could get the clearance for rototiller pulleys 1) spacer block between hub and wheels. 2) cutting out the wheel centers and re-welding reducing the backspacing.

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Sam Two ways you could get the clearance for rototiller pulleys 1) spacer block between hub and wheels. 2) cutting out the wheel centers and re-welding reducing the backspacing.
That may work if I can slide all the pulleys involved to the left to reach past the oil filter. I which case wheel spacers would be a necesity. We are talking sliding the pulleys on the Beve gear box, tiller, and tiller drive over 1 1/2 to 2". Might be too far to be viable. Wont know for sure till I get these two torn down and reassembled so I have everything there in one place to look at.

SmilinSam
Oh, one other thing, at this point Roy is going to be pissed:O ..All I have for a powerplant at the moment is a 12 HP Kohler:D

Storm7012
quote:
Originally posted by SmilinSam
Oh, one other thing, at this point Roy is going to be pissed:O ..All I have for a powerplant at the moment is a 12 HP Kohler:D
Come on everyone.....We have to find a real engine for this project, or it's going to end up with a toilet....:D Oh, I mean in the toilet....