Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 Belt Stop, Clutch Pedal Free Travel ???s

RBE17

I changed the drive belts and replaced the broken tensioner on my 4040 this afternoon. I have some questions concerning the process and results. 1) I have the jam nuts for the tensioner all the way at the bottom. I was able to achieve the 7 3/4" measurement of the spring. Does it matter that the jam nuts are all the way at the bottom of the tensioner rod? 2) When measuring the distance between the drive belts and belt stop should it be done w/ the clutch pedal depressed or at rest? 3) Clutch pedal free travel. When my clutch pedal is at rest I can lift it back up toward the top of the tractor. I can also push it down for the desired measurement of 1"-2" before it starts to move the clutch. On my 9020 I also have proper free travel, but the pedal is all the way up and has no movement from rest towards the top of the machine. What gives? If anyone can shed some light on this for me I'd appreciate it. Any help and information is appreciated. Thanks, Steve.

The jamb nuts are to lock the tensioner to the proper adjustment. The double nuts make it so that you can run down the tensioner to a static location without having to try to get a wrench in between the spring assembly to lock the adjustment. Hope that made sense. The belt stop should be measured at rest. As long as you have the required free play on the pedal then ignore the upwards play. The importance of the free play is to allow the belts to wear and the pedal to not interfere. Like riding the clutch.

Thanks Dave.
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_DaveThe belt stop should be measured at rest.
Groan...that bolt to set the adjustment looks quite inaccessible. I like how well built these tractors are, but they not exactly the easiest things to work on. There always seems to be just barely not enough room.