Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Not happy with Castrol Syntec

Simplicity_728

After switching to Castrol Syntec 10W-30 the engine on my 728 started burning oil. Shortblock is only a year and a half old and still has the hone marks in the cylinder. After switching back to Motorcraft Synthetic 10W-30 the oil buring stopped and it has not used a drop. I am never buying Castrol again.

I am still not convinced synthetic oil is good for small engines. I prefer the Dino stuff. I do use Motorcraft in my Mustang GT though.

These oil posts always end up being a bad thingB) Seems we all know what we want to run and everyone else is wrong. So, with that said, I'd like to say I'm right.....lol:D

There is another thread where someone chimed in and seemed to really know what they were talking about...check the archives from about a month or so ago...

Going to continue using the Dino in mine, too. And, would not go across the street for a truckload of Motorcraft Dino, nor Havoline, either. I have taken several car engines down that used both, and after long miles with regular changes, the carbon and sludge buildup inside likens to the old Quaker State of the 50s and 60s. Digging for head bolts is not something that is always fun and enjoyable. I'll use either Castrol or Valvoline until the sludge shows me otherwise.

I really like Coors,the tractors like whats cheap. Most are not much more then a perpetual oil change any way,if they don't use a little oil I get worried.}:)