Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plow Blade Extension Project

Mike

With all the light powdery snowfalls this year, I decided to try and plow more area in less time. I started with a bad 50 gallon gas water heater. Stripped all the sheet metal , insulation and mechanical parts. The steel is great, 1/8" and coated.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-plow 001.JPG[/img]
Drew outlines, found that sawzall with metal blade worked best for cutting out wings.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-plow 002.JPG[/img]
Here is one side clamped on.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-plow 003.JPG[/img]
Both sides clamped.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-plow 004.JPG[/img]
My plan is to put washers between the blade and cutting edge so the bottom of the wing slides between and then will have a bolt with large fender washer to hold the top , then when not in use they will slide towards each other and self store on the blade. They really are designed for light powdery snow, wouldn't want to push that much snow with any weigght to it. I really enjoy making junk and scrap into useful objects. this is my 80% + recycled materials fishhouse, the only thing purchased and not salvaged is the plywood. The roof is even fabbed out of a boat lift canvas.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-plow 005.JPG[/img]

Looks good, Mike. My idea was similar: I want to add wings that will push the snow further away from the edge of the sidewalk or driveway ... to leave room for more! These wings will have to be sturdier, as they will likely encounter frozen snow from a previous plowing. I will also make them smaller and mount them higher, and probably make one for only one side. I see the city trucks use a mid-mounted blade to do this ... maybe that is a better idea. Tom

Like your blade extension idea and the fish house looks great. What kind of heat and how many holes? All ours in this area of central Minnesota are off the ice now.

Mike I did something similar with a plow I put on my Pathfinder. I used a 54" Ariens Plow and added to the ends to make it 7'. One thing I'd like to share is that the force on the outer edges is much greater and the pivot locking mechanism wont be strong enough to take that force. One catch on something and it can shear the locking mechanism all to heck. It did to mine the 5/8" pin cut clean off and tore the lock mechanism almost off. I triangulated the longer ends by attaching a length of chain to the ends and using hooks to hook it back to the frame. When I pivot it I unhook the chain, turn it and rehook the chain. If I remember I will take some photos of how I "fixed" it. My fix is not shown but the original setup is. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=108848[/url]