Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kelch Corp Gas Caps (powermax)

powermax_paul

I'm fed up with the Kelch gas caps on my powermax tractors. The domes crack and crumble and the caps themselves shrink to the point they no longer fit the top of the tank. Can anyone suggest an alternate solution? I don't care if it has a gas gauge in it. Paul

Think my 4040 just has a metal one like older cars, in fact I think it's chrome. I'd go look Paul except it's behind a stapled in place plastic curtant keeping the saw dust off from makinmg bee boxes in the leanto. Good to see you here.

I machined out the inside of the plastic gauge/cap on the lathe after it shrunk so it would fit once again. The things we do for love!

Is the cap failure something recent? I ask that in case it has something to do with a high content of alcohol in your local fuel supply. If the fuel is damaging the cap, what is happening to the fuel lines and the insides of the carb? Not trying to start an Ethanol debate, but facts is facts - lots of older plastic, rubber and even aluminum parts will just get eaten up by more than 10%. Tim

I started using the plain chrome cap about 15 years ago. The caps with the gauge in them were just too leaky, and you could easily replace it once a year.