Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
grnlark

The Wonderboy is home.........again!

grnlark
Several years back I purchased this '57 Wonderboy from a tag sale for $10 - and it was all downhill from there :D This was the first collector tractor I ever purchased and it would become the first of many lawn and garden tractors to be bought, sold and hoarded thereafter. A year or two ago I decided to sell it as I got carried away with Panzers, my Landlord and a variety of other tractors. That would be a decision I'd continually regret. I'm not sure why, but I always felt like I sold off the one tractor that should have stayed part of my collection - where it all began. So, taking a longshot a few weeks ago, I emailed Adam (xenon172) remembering that it was his friend Tom (Dugo) that purchased it from me. Much to my suprise, Tom still had the Wonderboy and was willing to sell it back. This past Saturday I drove up to meet them and loaded the Wonderboy back on the trailer. I finally had a chance to take it off the trailer tonight and park it back home.

Vassal
Great save Matt! Must be a relief to stop kicking yourself eh? Looking at the list in your sig, it's the oldest machine in your fleet too (not including Bufords) - that's pretty cool. Me thinks a full-boogie resto is in order!

ka9bxg
Those are a great little butt buggie. You do need a pad for the seat or you will be shacken up well.I still like to run around the yard with them.I have the 400 the 575 and a wards with all four of the lawn mowers . Watch out for the evergreen trees hard to stop once you are in the branches. Bob

grnlark
quote:
Originally posted by OldFarmTractor
How many horsepower is a Wonderboy? Clinton engine?
It was original with a Clinton 1200, which I do have possession of but it's in bad shape. It broke a rod and punched it thru the side of the block. The bore suprisingly is not damaged, but the block will need to be welded. There's a Briggs 5hp on it now which ran like a top when I sold it but doesn't run now. sm00

UCD
ENGINE INFORMATION - 1958                                 ENGINE     ENGINE SERIES H.P. MFG. NO. MODEL NO. TYPE NO. 575   5 3/4  990164    143302       502587† 575   5 3/4  990154    143302       502587† 450   4 1/2  990166    141302       502587† 450   4 1/2  990165    141302       502587† † Briggs & Stratton Engine ENGINE INFORMATION - 1957                                     ENGINE       ENGINE SERIES      H.P. MFG. NO. MODEL NO. TYPE NO. Wonderboy 4    990120    1290-1216   (Clinton) Wonderboy 4    990119    1290-1216   (Clinton) Wonderboy 3.6  990102    1200-2198   (Clinton) Wonderboy 3.6  990086    1200-2198   (Clinton)

sbull78
Glad to see u got er back!!my first simplicity is only 1 block away from me...my buddy needed a lawn mower and i sold it to him..he has hardly used it and it is in as good a shape as when i sold it to him...i'm sure i could buy it back when i want to...it's nothing fancy(4211 5 speed) but i put a lot of time in on it...congrats on reuniting with an old friend!;)

MPH
Hey Matt, here's a long shot for your hole in the block on the Clinton if you have the piece the rod knocked out. When I was a kid my dad JB welded the piece back in in a vertical shaft Briggs on a mower a guy down the road was gonna dump because the rod came out the block. He mowed with that thing I think until the day he no longer could push it.

grnlark
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Hey Matt, here's a long shot for your hole in the block on the Clinton if you have the piece the rod knocked out. When I was a kid my dad JB welded the piece back in in a vertical shaft Briggs on a mower a guy down the road was gonna dump because the rod came out the block. He mowed with that thing I think until the day he no longer could push it.
I actually have a lead on another 1200, otherwise there's a welding shop close to me that I used to work at and I know a few guys there can fix it for sure. Unfortunately the missing piece was long gone before I got the tractor.

steve-wis
I have a 1959 wonderboy 575, 5.75 hp briggs engine. I mow with it once in a while. Mine has the 32 inch 3 blade deck. It is a blast to mow with, and I think does a better job than my newer ones! The lawn looks really good when I use it. I thought about selling mine a while ago and my wife talked me out of it. I think her exact words of wisdom were "what, are you nuts?" thanks, dear. Steve

Sign in to follow this