Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Who knows how to fix a shuttle stuck in Reverse???

Burntime

This tractor looks like its in nuetral but want to only go backwards. If I try to shift it into any gear (it will go into the front two gears) it stalls. It will not even shift into the rear two... This is a really nice 7016 with electric lift. Like to keep it for the fleet if I can make it run right...

Don't go and buy an new one just yet ... If it want's to go in reverse, then your planetary gearset is working (a good sign). Sounds like adjustments in linkage. Try moving the shuttle into forward, then start and try to put in gear. If the brake bank it too tight, it will try to go in reverse. If it is tight AND the idler for forward is tight enough to engage, then it will stall the motor every time you put it in gear and let out the clutch. I've spent a lot of time on these lately ..... built some expertise out of necessity....

Take the brake band completely off the planetary. Put the shuttle in reverse position, start and try to put in gear, with the clutch in. If it goes in gear, move the shuttle level forward into neutral and into forward (if it will move that far) and it should try to move forward.

Do a search for thedaddycat's postings from about 6 years ago. He walked me through fixing my 712S using a bent screwdriver through a bolt in the side of the housing below the exposed shifting controls. If you understand the term "shifting forks" then you have a good idea of what is going on inside your tractor. MAYBE there is someone on here that has better luck than I have using the search function and can get you headed in the right direction. Dan PS: For those with shuttles, my advice is not to try to shift "on the go" and I always shift with the clutch out and the "direction selector" in neutral. Have not had a problem since I started do it this way.

I thought Zippo just posted his video on this a couple weeks ago in another section... hmmm... Im not sure it is your problem but here is the slipped shifting fork screwdriver repair video.... http://www.youtube.com/user/ZippoVarga#p/u/5/eqnPXZEV0ZE It sounds to me like Bailey is on the right trail though...

I tried the zippo trick and well, theres a screwdriver stuck in there!:D I auctually do not think it is long enough. I had a screwdriver that I used in a pinch to pull a lawn spreader. It had a nice l shape to it... But I think its too short. Tomorrow I will give it a whirl again...

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure what the shifting forks have to do with a shuttle insisting on going in reverse. This tractor doesn't even have a reverse gearset in the rearend. I think you need to resolve the issues with the shuttle, before you start poking around in the gearbox. If the half sheave is still spinning when your shuttle control is in neutral, you have a problem that may explain the inability to get into all four gears ......

I was going by zippos video... It is in nuetral but is going in reverse. If I put it in any of the front 2 gears it stalls out. And it will not slip past the nuetral positon to go into any of the rear gears... At this point I am open to any ideas...the shuttle info you gave will be whats on the agenda for today...

I saw the video .... awesome work, much better than written instructions. My only point was, from what you've written, I'm just not sure you'll find anything wrong in there. To diagnose the issure, it sounds like you should start with the shuttle ..... Curious .... I assume that the gearshift won't move into gear when the tractor is NOT running also?

The transmission is stuck in either 2nd or 4th and the shift lever has jumped out of those forks into the neutral position that is why it will not go into one of those gears and when you put it into 1st or 3rd it locks the transmission as it is in two gears at one time and stalls the engine.

Makes sense...I am going to try the screwdiver again, this time with a longer reach. I may have to remove the rear pulley so I can actually see whats in there...right now I am sneeking past it, and its not working. Thanks guys!

I am wondering if someone who has done this can pm me thier number... I am mechanically inclined but just can not find anything in there. I have spent over 45 minutes feeling around in there and nothing. Like I said. Its in reverse when in nuetral. Any other gear and it stalls out so it does make sense to me the shifting forks...zippos video makes it look easy...but its on an older model not a 7016 shuttle. I looked at the parts listing and its hard to tell just how far in it is...

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=153&LinkName=Manual%20Transmission%20Stuck%20In%20or%20Between%20Gears&CatID=18&CatTitle=Transmissions&URL= I looked at this link and still not getting anything to move...again different model but should be similiar?

With shifter stem/ball #13 blue in neutral You have to go in though pipe plug #84 red and either push or pull the 2nd & 4th shifter fork #19 fuschia on shifter shaft #15 green to the neutral position (centered) the 1st & 3rd shifter fork #19 orange on shifter shaft #16 LT blue should be in neutral postion(centered)

Now that is clear! I just need to find something to bend tomorrow. I tried a craftsman screwdriver and they just snap:Osm00

Viola, I told you guys it was not that hard!:D Its fixed...next problem... Thanks again for the help. Maynard, the diagram is what did it. I pulled the pulleys so I could get a straight shot then rode the screwdriver along the shaft and droped it down. Very little preasure and it just sprung out like it wanted to center. Fixed the carb and was doing victory laps!:D Never had one of these shuttles before with basically 6 speeds...hope I am calling it the right thing. It is really a nice machine. I am still a hydro guy but this is still a nice toy! I will snap a pic or two tomorrow after I mount a new seat...