Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
kenmill1958

AG Tires in front??

kenmill1958
I have a 917 Allis that I will be replacing tires on shortly. Have Ag's for the rear. Pondering weather to put them on front also. Not alot of property here and no large garden. I will be using it to mow with and snow blow on winter. Some fairly steep slopes to mow. Had the original turfs on front this winter. Almost no steering control as you can imagine. I have read if you use AG's in front to reverse them on 2 wheel drive tractors for better steering control in all conditions. My other option which works well in all conditions is Carlisle XTracs. I have these on my Cub Cadet 125 and work well. AG's are a bit cheaper though and give a different look. Any input or ideas appreciated. Thanks Ken

RickS
Ken, I have Ags on one of my tractors and SnowHogs on the other. For me I find the Ags work great for snow-blowing. I don't have a problem with the tires sliding. I also use this tractor to move dirt around in the summer (Johnny Bucket) and don't have a problem. The front Ags are reversed for steering. One thing to watch for is some Ags on the front will rub the tie rod which can cause a problem with steering. Note there is an easy fix, just shim the tie rod end up at the tire side. Not a major concern, just something to be aware of. The SnowHog tires work great in the summer for cutting the grass. The tend to slide in the winter when I use this tractor to plow the snow. SnowHog tires are the same tires most snow blowers come with. The tires do hold well on a side hill I need to cut with no slippage. I do know other members will suggest the tri rib for the front tire. They report it works well in the winter and summer. For me I think the big difference is the look each tire gives the tractor. My tractor with four Ags looks tough, while the one with the SnowHogs looks tamer. Others report Ags in the rear and tri ribs in the front make the tractor look like a larger tractor. Rick.........

JimH
Ken, I put the tri ribs on the front of my '64 Landlord before winter. The tractor steers alot easier and there is better control of the front end while plowing and blowing snow.

perry
the AG's are great for playing in the dirt, but they will tear up your lawn. my mowing tractor has turfs but i run AG's all around on my workers in the summer and front turfs with go-cart chain down the center in the winter.

RickS
I have not had any trouble with my Ags tearing up my lawn. That said you do need to be careful. If I run the tractor with four Ags back and forth over the same area (like when I move dirt from one area to another) the grass gets cut up where I need to turn. To prevent this from happening all I do is vary the path I travel on. When I use this tractor to cut the lawn I have no trouble with the Ags. It is only when I travel the same path over and over again. Rick........

pungo
I have the x-Trac on front,can't remember where I bought them Online but they were cheaper than Ags,seems like around 18 bucks a pc.I like them but they do indeed hit the steering rod if cut too sharp.I run tubes in them.

kenmill1958
Thanks Guys. Unfortunately I can not spring the cash for the ribs right now. I think for all around use I can get away with AG's. I do not use these much on pavement excedpt in winter for snow removal. If the lawn becomes an issue my 919 has turfs. Doesn't run yet though. Guess I can always switch wheels and tires. Have to see how it goes. Thanks Again!! Ken

Scouter16
Usually on most tractors you put Ag tires only on drive axles. Mostly in the back, unless it is 4-wheel drive. I would put Ag tires on the back, and something not as aggressive on the front, to make sure you have steering control.