Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Just curious

SimpleMan

Thanks for the answer. I'm glad to know that Simplicity (the company), is as diverse in it's marketing strategy as it is. Sure looks as though they should be around for a long time. Keep it "Simple" GordU

Hi, The above is correct they bought Baker shredders several years ago. They also bought Ferris a couple of years ago. They make a premium commercial zero turn family. Recently they bought Giant-Vac company. I hope that they keep growing. Al

Had to buy a part for my Sovereign, and like most small parts it came in a small plastic package. I'm curious as to a name I saw on the package. Along with the names Simplicity, AGCO Allis, Massey...etc., there's also the name "Baker". Just wondering if anyone knows what "Baker" is? I know, it may be a trivial thing, but it made me curious. Thanks GordU

I had this same question about a year ago. Kent said he thought it was a line of chipper/shredders by a company (Baker) that Simplicity bought a few years ago. This is unconfirmed info, but sounds reasonble. Anyone? Brent

I think the newer Massey Model 2818 is the same as a newer Soveriegn or AGCO 918. Don't know about older stuff or other tractors.

I don't know exact dates, however a few years ago Simplicity started making lawn & garden equipment for Massey Ferguson, (now a division of AGCO). All of the Massey branded units are identical to the Simplcity branded units except for the paint. Bottom line...if you prefer red to orange, buy a Massey. GordU ps. Someone else, please fill in dates if available, or other info I may of missed.Thanks.

Don't recall the dates Simp first made Massy's but it on the history section of this site. looked it up some time back for my bro who use to own a Massy. I believesnapper now owns Massy. MPH '

white lawn has no ties to simplicity at all.mtd bought out white lawn around 1991 or there abouts as white farm equipment was bought by agco in 1991.massy was bought out by agco in june of 94 i belive.so simplicity has been making massy lawn equipment since 94 or early 95.the lawn and garden equipment of agco simplicity and massy are all the same except for the decals and paint jobs.agco918

This is not for the sake of argument, however, Snapper used to make lawn and garden equipment for Massey. All of the lawn and garden tractors/mowers are now made by Simplicity. I was just at a Massey dealer a few weeks ago getting parts for my Simplicity...saw some of the Massey lawn and garden equipment, looks exactly like the Simplicities...except with red paint. I suppose technically, everything mentioned boils down to that AGCO owns Massey (AGCO Massey), and Allis (AGCO Allis) it only makes sense that they have one company supply them with lawn and garden equipment. I just can't figure out why they would have one division (AGCO White), that would have their lawn and garden equipment made by MTD. Hey, like the slogan says "Keep it simple....!" GordU

GordU, thanks for the update on Massy, Reason I looked it for my my bro was he said his Massy mowed better than his JD 420 so I thought maybe he had a Simplicity and didn"t know it. Not many Simplicty trac in the Colo front range I guess. Maybe MTD had a keep-makeing em clause when they sold white to Argo, who knows,,MPH