Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Les

75th anniversary engines

Les
Looking at a 75th anniversary Sovereign, It still has the Kohler OHC engine in it. How bad are these engines? this one still runs but what happens when it blows up? Can they be repaired? Can you retrofit a regular Kohler OHV?

Chris727
I think the problem was air cleaner related. I think one of the members added a heavy duty air filter like you see on commercial equipment and hasn't had any problems with the engine. You should be able to drop a Kohler Command into that tractor with few if any changes, I'm not sure if the chrome parts will fit the same.

Roy
The Kohler Triad OHC engines were a disaster for Kohler. Early models had a problem with soft cam lobes for the fuel pump and soft timing gears for the cam belt. Kohler fixed this on later models. Biggest problem was oil leakage from the composite valve cover with the fuel pump mounted on it. Oil leak would collect debris in the cooling fins and the engine would overheat. This caused the CI cylinder liner to drop/move and lunch the engine. My Triad OHC lasted 104 hours before it went South. The above overheat and oil leak problem was made worse by blow-back from the mower deck and the way the engine cooling air was pulled through the engine. This provided plentiful debris to clog the cooling fins. Without the HD air cleaner Chris mentioned the air filter had to be cleaned everytime the mower was used. The Triad OHC looked good on paper but was a disaster in the Simplicity tractor application. My experience,

TimJr
The Command OHV will bolt right in - call Al Eden from Eden's out in Iowa. They have a complete kit to put the good engine in it. Not exactly cheap, but very well put together, certified by Simplicity and Kohler as being an acceptable repower, and it will last a long time for you. It's not like the "kit" that you can buy from other places that aren't really a kit as much as an engine with a sheet of paper that says "you may have to modify things to put this in". Some of the overhead cam TH engines are still running yet, but I would think of it as a ticking time bomb, even with good care they seemed to fail. Tim

Mike
I have a one of these triads, there was some talk about opening up the air filter to allow more air and replacing the fuel pump with an electric. I would be interested in knowing more about electric fuel pumps for this application. My triad only has 2 hours on it though. And is possibly still under warranty.

Roy
I would strongly recommend a low pressure electric fuel pump (like the ones people use on Powermaxes) along with removal of the existing mechanical fuel pump. Without the constant valve cover flexing due to the fuel pump the valve cover shouldn't be as prone to leaking. This was a bad design from the git-go. Also recommend the HD air cleaner and the clean out panels for the sheet metal. Both are available from Kohler. If the tractor isn't used for mowing the stock air cleaner should be OK. e.g. If the tractor isn't used for anything that allows the engine to suck in excess debris. Al Eden can give you the details on the air cleaner modification. It basically consists of removing the front of the air cleaner cover. If the tractor is used for mowing addition of an anti-blowback kit will reduce the amount of debris sucked in by the engine. Not sure an anti-blowback kit is available for the Sovereigns but think one from a later model Simplicity could be modified and used. Or, just make your own. Al Eden is your best source for information regarding the Triad engines.

acfarmer
I have an AGCO-Allis that has one of those engines blown up in it.It was the 2nd engine and tractor has less than 150hrs.Bought it that way don't think I'll try a 3rd one.;)

roma3112
I can speak for these triad engines (had one on my sovereign)mine started to crap out with about 100hrs on it. I bought the machine new/old stock with the factory warranty, a year or so out of warranty it really got bad. I wrote simplicity and spoke to the warranty dept in port washington(great folks)well between those calls and a letter to jim Wier simplicity picked up the tab for a new engine:D. Even better they set me up with AL Eden who supplied the kit/engine!!! This is a long way of saying that Al's kit leaves nothing out IF your machine does need a re-power and you can afford it dont hessitate. Al and his folks helped me and the quality of the kit was such that even Simplicity "called it their own" so to speak. One other thing, if you use the command in cold weather, there is a cold weather kit that AL highly reccomended, and that I purchased from him. It made a great deal of difference in how the engine worked in the cold. Good luck with the triad

PhanDad
Les, A CH18 can be installed in them. I bought a 75th anniversary tractor this past fall with a "hack job" CH18 installation. See this post: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=108192 With the help of Al Eden, it'll be a proper install shortly. John, As to the "cold weather kit" for a CH18, below what temperature is the kit recommended? What does it consist of? Have a part number? Thanks for any info.