Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

new owner

I had my first Simplicity given to me this weekend (a 4208) and am needing some advice. I have done some obvious and inexpensive things like a new spark plug, oil change and sharpened the blades on the mower, however, there seems to be an unlevel pattern to the cut. What are the possiblities as to what is wrong?

Welcome to the club. I know you will find the advise here very usefull, I sure have. As for your mower deck issue here's a few things to check for. First, make sure that all of your tires are filled with the proper air pressure, (check your owners manual if you have one). Second, the mower needs to be levelled, side to side, and the front should be 1/8-1/4" higher than the back when measured (with the mower set at full height) at the blade, (not the deck). The blades should be parallel with the tractor when doing this measurement. I am not familiar enough with your particular model to give you exact instructions on the proceedure for this, but I'm sure someone else out there would know. Also, make sure that none of your blades are bent, or excessively worn. Also, how do the rollers look at the back of the mower deck? If they are worn unevenly it may also cause the problem you've mentioned. Hope this helps some. Anybody else, please step in...this is all I can think of right now. GordU

Hi, We use some 3/8 bolts about 3 1/2" long and threaded all the way to measure when we level the deck. We usually use the middle height of cut knotch. Set the tractor on a level floor and check the tire pressure. About 10 in front and 5 or 6 in rear. Remove the deck and check that the tips of the blades register when they pass each other. When you rotate the blade each tip should be on the same plane with the tip of the other blade. If it registers and you turn the blade a half turn and that side doesen't you probably have a bent blade. Then repeat with the other blade. If both blades are the same and the tips don't register, try a new set of blades. If that don't correct it, you need to get a straight edge and lay it on the bottom of one blade and have it extend to the bolt in the other. This will tell you which arbor is tilted if the tips aren't in line. If one of the arbors is tilted in the housing, we usually straighten the deck using a piece of hardwood 2x4 about a foot long and a 10 lb hammer. We put the end of the 2x4 on the bolt circle on the bottom of the arbor housing that is cocked on the side that needs to move up and persuade it up watching the effect on the blade alignment. Then if necessary go to the other side of the bolt circle on the top and persuade it down. If your blades aren't on the same plane you can never correct the cut. We very rarely have to persuade these 2 blade decks, but the 3 blade decks on the Sovereign family we straighten a lot of. You can't believe what those deck can inhale and spit out and it twists the deck housings. On the two blade deck if the blades register put it back on and set the blades so they are in line side to side. Then reach under each side and set the measuring bolt on the floor and by feel run the nut up until it touches the cutting edge of the blade at the tip. Take this bolt and lay it down, take the other bolt and do the same with the other blade. Compare the bolts, if the nuts aren't the same height go to the left roller and there is a little L shaped adjusting link, lengthen or shorten it as needed to get the deck level side to side. When level outside to outside then turn the blades so they align front to back and measure with the bolts from the rear tip of the rear blade to the front tip of the front blade. The mower should be 1/8th to 1/4" high in the front. There is a rod from the front hanger bracket back with a clevis on it, ad;just it to pull the front hanger [part that pins on to the tractor]to raise the front of the deck up or down as necessary. Will make all the difference in the world. The bolts make it soo much easier than trying to see under the deck and measure. Just do it by feel and put them side by side. Good luck, Al

Before checking to see if the deck is level make sure it (or the blades) are not bent. If someone hit something the blades or the deck could be bent. Pick a spot on the deck and measure to the tip of the blade. Spin the blade and check again. Bent blades are easy, bent decks are another thing.

Thanks guys! I'm gonna tackle it this weekend. Looking at some of the pictures in here has shown me a few missing rollers on the discharge side of the deck. I guess that could cause the housing to be outta whack! I appreciate you're willingness to share your knowledge.