Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
a_sannine

Stubborn tire wont come off wheel

a_sannine
on one of my 7116 the front tire leaks and go flat i tried every way taking of the tire no success any trick i should know off , i used sledge hammer ,i couldn't take it off it is sticking to the rim so bad

a_sannine
i was using the flat bar ,and the sledge hammer and couldn't go between rubber and rim i am gonna heat it to see if that will work

BLT
I put a 4" X 4" X 36" piece of wood along the edge of the rim and back up on it with my Mercury Marquis. Sometimes it takes two or three tries but has always popped it loose from the rim. And if tire pops out or 4 X 4 grip , it doesn't flop far, maybe a foot or so. Make sure tire is pointed away from car and 4 X 4 is right on edge of rim.

UCD
Use a bumper jack on a cross plate nailed to the studs in the garage. Put the tire under the bumper jack with the jack plate on the bead of the tire and jack away, pushing the bead away from the rim of the wheel. turn the wheel 180° and do the other side. Then us two screw drivers, bars or tire spoons to remove the tire from the wheel. If you have a 6" bench vice put it between the jaws of the vice and close the jaws.

4xbill
I do what BLT does. I use a 3 ft 2x12. Lay it flat in the driveway, put the board right about to the edge of the rim, then I drive slowly up the board with my truck. If it is really stuck, I sometimes spin the wheel and do the other side, then flip it and repeat if needed. Good luck

1969nicholas
A little PB Blaster or even some soapy water on the bead will help it break loose.(Let it soak for a couple hours)It always worked for me with all my Forty year old tires.

Blazerjeepman3
I had problems with the small tires sometimes taking them off. For $5.00 My tire supplier will take off and mount new tire. Not worth the trouble to do it myself.He sells the carlisle brand

a_sannine
yes it is the small one that is giving me hard time but will run it over with my truck in the morning :D that will be fun i got over 6 tires to do so this will save me $30 and waiting there god knows how long

HubbardRA
I sit my floor jack on the tire right against the edge of the rim. Then I put this assembly under the hitch on my truck and jack up against that. Sometimes it only moves a little. In that case I rotate the wheel slightly and jack on it again. On real stubborn tires I have needed to go nearly all the way around the tire in short rotations to get the tire to break loose, but it eventually will.

B10Dave
I use a tire changer I bought from Princess Auto here in Ontario. I have seen same changer at Harbor Freight on your side of the border. Price is reasonable and they work very well; especially the bead breaker part. Stopped using "inventive solutions" entirely and the frustration factor went to zero. Forgot to say, this changer is a bench top model made for tires up to 12in.dOd Dave

perry
a little patience and time. soap and water or black magic tire wet spray works the best. work a decent size flathead screw driver across the top bead untill it hits the rim. twist the screw driver to open it up and use another screw driver to work the edge of the bead down. keep working it all around the rim a few times and eventally the bead will pop down.