Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
timflury

Protecting my mower deck

timflury
I've been searching the boards looking for ways to prolong the life of my mower deck. Am I correct in hearing that Duraliner or any other roll-on truck bed liner has been used to coat the underside of our mowers???

Tom45
I have used Rhino liner on mine after sandblasting and epoxy priming. It has stayed on well except for one place where a stick got wedged between a blade and the housing. It is no better than what it is applied to, so if applied over rusty metal, rust will continue under it. POR15 sounds like a good way to go. Tom

BLT
Periodic hosing to get the fresh green stuff off the deck and then in fall grinding up dry leaves to finish the cleaning. Leaves act as mild pumice and clean the deck real good.

timflury
quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
POR-15 works great.
Ok, so you used POR-15. Did you use all three steps of their recommended process that is shown on their home page??? http://www.por15.com/

OrangeMetalGuy
Yes. It's the only way to really be sure it will stay put.
[img]/club2/attach/OrangeMetalGuy/Deck.jpg[/img]

MrSteele
"Periodic hosing to get the fresh green stuff off the deck and then in fall grinding up dry leaves to finish the cleaning. Leaves act as mild pumice and clean the deck real good." And I thought I was the only one who used this trick. I have done it with everything that has a rotary blade, rider or walk-behind, for years. No problems with rust that wasn't there before I got the machine. A deck used in dry leaves is a very clean deck, and if the leaves also have a few sticks and small branches in them, you get an even cleaner deck.

RayS
quote:
Originally posted by MrSteele
"Periodic hosing to get the fresh green stuff off the deck and then in fall grinding up dry leaves to finish the cleaning. Leaves act as mild pumice and clean the deck real good." And I thought I was the only one who used this trick. I have done it with everything that has a rotary blade, rider or walk-behind, for years. No problems with rust that wasn't there before I got the machine. A deck used in dry leaves is a very clean deck, and if the leaves also have a few sticks and small branches in them, you get an even cleaner deck.
This is all I do as well. Leaves do a excellent job of cleaning deck.

timflury
Well...... The inside of my mower is in good condition. I have more rust to wire brush out, but not much. I think for this season I'll just apply Rust-Oleum primer and paint and do the "leaf mulching" bit in the fall. There wasn't a lot of buildup of clippings to clean out, In fact it looked like much of it was in there when I bought the tractor.