Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RUMBLEFISH

3 Briggs for sale

RUMBLEFISH
I am going to go look at 3 briggs what he called side shaft engines in the am. He has a 8,10 and 12 he thinks with all the parts. One has a new piston rings and valves. The whole lot for 50 cash which I will chew him down if I can. I asked him what they came off and he said one was a sears mower but not sure about the rest. Are these even worth looking at and would the out put shafts be different then our AC/Simplicities? All are cast Iron. Thanks

RayS
A horizontal shaft engine is sometimes referred to as a side shaft engine. I believe probably the person may or may not know the difference in horizontal and vertical terminology. $50.00 cash is cheap if the 10 an 12 are any good. If they are cast iron then they more than likely are horizontal shafts. I don`t think Briggs made any cast iron vertical shaft engines, but I may be wrong. They may have a different code number than the Simplicity which usually has to do with steps on crankshafts and manufactures specifications. I have a 14hp from a old Sears Suburban that was in my 7116H. That motor is strong running and I paid a $100.00 for it because I trusted the guy I bought it from. You get lucky sometimes and sometimes you get burnt.