Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Gary

Kohler M18 into a 917H Allis

Gary
I just came across a brand new, never fired, M18 Kohler. It's Spec# 24646. It has the remote oil filter setup, which I may change to the one on the block. I think Small Engine Warehouse lists this engine to be a replacement unit for a 1862 Cub. They sell it for $2500.00. I didn't pay near that much. It's going to go into my 917H, after I tear it down, clean it up, and repaint it. Has anyone here done the conversion from the coil fired engines? What do I need to alter/change/replace? If memory serves me correctly, Al Eden has info, parts, to make the electrical modification. How about ya, Al? Any help will be much appreciated. The old KT17, still runs. No knocks or noises. It burns a little oil, but doesn't smoke much. I'd guess that the M18 is a better choice than a rebuilt KT17. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

PhanDad
I think if you put a "Briggs" style ignition switch in it and follow the Briggs wiring diagram, you should be good to go. I've never converted from coil to magneto, only from coil to magneto, so hopefully someone will confirm. In a recent topic, I posted the Briggs wiring diagram you can use for reference.

GregB
See link to Al's company web page. I bought and used one of the uni-kits when I replaced the KT series I, battery ingnition, with a later model using the solid state ignition. Worked great for me. [url]http://repowereng.com/uk-1__uni-kit.htm[/url]