Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ugly-Alice up to 30

ZippoVarga

Ugly Alice just keeps on getting more and more parts from different tractors and I had planned on stopping at 24. Well....the addition of my hand made light bar and a newly acquired RH lift lever (story to follow)brings the total parts either fabbed or from other tractors, to 30. The RH lift lever story: I received a call from my friend Ron who had gotten a call from "Harold's" wife about needing a 42 inch deck. Harold has been in the eyes of all of us local Simplicity and A/C nuts for some years now because of his rather impressive collection of Simps and A/Cs that could be viewed from a road near my home here in Muncie Indiana. Ron didn't have any 42 inch decks at the time Mrs. Harold called so he turned her towards me. I had bought a Big Ten at Auction some time back that came with, among other things, a newer narrow bale 42 inch white deck. When I sold the Big Ten I kept the 42 inch white deck because it needed rebuilt. When I visited Harold (81 years of age) and his wife (age not disclosed as to remain a gentleman)he began a story about where all of his tractors came from and where they went. Long story short, Harold had a couple bad heart attacks which stopped him from doing any more yard work. All of his collection was hauled off to his sons who ultimately will auction everything off and give his Father none of the proceeds. That is a story in it self that I will not go into here. So.....he expressed an interest in wanting one of the newer white 42 inch decks, but that any deck would be better than the patched and very noisy deck he currently had for his Big Ten. So....I accommodated his needs with a freshly rebuilt deck and as I was installing it on his Big Ten he asked if I had a sickle bar mower. I said I did, so he said, take that old RH lever off there and take it with you. I told him I couldn't just take it, that I would take $xx.xx off from the deck for it. He wouldn't hear of it and insisted I take the lift arm and the $ for the deck. So we compromised and he finally agreed to take 30 bucks off the cost of the deck.....I offered considerably more, but he was like trying to bargain with a burrow. He now has a good deck that his wife can maintain the yard with and a freshly tuned up Big Ten and I came home with the RH lift lever and a little folding money. Here's Ugly-Alice with her new light bar and RH lift lever:

So far, Ugly-Alice has a Hi-Lo, Lights, RH lift, 16hp Briggs, best of donor tractor parts, ags on all 4 corners, weights and soon the LH lift will be replaced by a hydro lift. I thought about putting the Hydro on her, but after careful consideration, I've decided to keep the 3 speed with hi-lo. A face only a Father could love...lol. Another random pic of Alice showing her hi-lo, tiller belt bracket and pulley. Health be willing, I'll be adding the tiller tomorrow.

Ugly Alice is looking more like Allis in Wonderland with all those goodies on her!

Beauty and therfore ugly is in the eyes of the beholder:D. With that being said I would be happy to take possesion of your "Ugly Alice" so you wont have to look at the ugly old girl anymore;). But really she looks sweet, just needs a good coat of paint in my eyes and you will have the Pretty Alice, with all the goodies. Greg

man, another right hand lift . I'm jealous :D. sounds like you did a good deed and the payout was more than just a liftarm ;).

A Face only a Father could adore...lol. Thanks guys. Storm, That was a regular old plain shifter knob I got at TSC and I engraved the H pattern with our gear pattern then filled it with yellow paint. I've also done that with the hi-lo and another shift knob, but I'm trying out a different hi-lo knob to see if I like it better. Hey Bro!! I had a "nice" hood on Ugly-Alice at one time, but when Erik (Simpleton7016) sent me that hood, it was like a match made in heaven. I didn't change a thing about it. Just bolted her on and never looked back. Next on the list is an OLD OLD OLD rear light from lord knows what that I found in a box of junk I got some time ago and a set of B-1 fenders that I'll have to trim a little for tire clearance. It's fun when you keep the mind set that it'll never be finished.

Was gonna say you ought to paint her up real soon, but, sound like you've only just begun. looks very functional to me, plus come to think of it, don't make me feel bad I have never redid my '64.^

Hey Marty....I've got 4 1964s. Two B-10s and two Landlords and I work them all too much to slather paint on them. When I restored the 3212V, I sold it within two weeks of finishing it because I couldn't STAND not using it! So.....the closes Ugly-Alice will get to being painted is if she's under a ladder and I drop the paint bucket....lol. She's all set up and has tilled three gardens so far. My neck has me limited right now so my Uncle has been helping out. I just hope Alices tranny can take all the abuse he's dishing out...lol. Grind em till you find em!!

• 4 weeks later...
lol....I dunno Jim.....What was the song and I'll look it up?

" I took it one piece at a time" about a a man that works for a cadillac plant and took a '59 fender and a '60 tail light etc until he had a full car when he retired. Johnny Cash. jh