Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Quick question on driveshaft rotation

Nuzzy

I'm wondering which direction the driveshaft rotates on my AC 912; CW or CCW. I'm trying to figure out if a certain repower option would work... The old motor was a Kohler K301, but obviously the AC/Simplicity spec'd Kohlers had the keyed shaft out one side of the motor and the flywheel side shaft deal coming out the other to attach to the driveshaft. The motor I've seen only has the keyed shaft on the one side and is CCW. Just wondering if it's possible to retrofit that to the driveshaft, or if the rotation would be backwards. I can't seem to find exactly the info I'm looking for through searching :I Thanks!

Setting in the seat of the tractor the drive shaft rotation is clockwise off from the flywheel/fan end. The drive shaft is bolted to the flywheel/fan not a shaft. Most engines facing the engine the shaft side-PTO end is counter clockwise. Simplicity runs the drive shaft of from the flywheel/fan side which is clockwise. It depends on which end you drive from.

Ronald Hribar
I'm going to ask a stupid question. If the flywheel end turns clockwise facing the driver And you turn the crankshaft end to face driver Doesn't it also turn clockwise ?

Thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately that's what I was fearing the answer might be B) Wonder if anyone here has done a conversion to run a CCW spinning shaft to the CW driveshaft (i.e through a series of pullies and/or 90° direction change box like if the motor was mounted sideways...) Basically, I really want to make a china diesel repower work just for the cool factor :D

Eric, There was another member who re-powered with a diesel. I believe he put the motor in a b10. The write-up did not mention any problems he had installing the motor. And there was no mention of needed a gearbox to change the rotation of the motor. So I think if you just change the source of your diesel motor you should be able to do it. Rick.......

Seems to me it would Ron seeing as if you look at the crank end from the drivers seat it also turns clockwise. Only turns counter clockwise because when you look at it from the front of the tractor your view rotated 180 degrees.

If you turn the engine around with the shaft pointing toward the driver the shaft will be turning counter clockwise from setting in the seat. A Briggs and Kohler engine in a Simplicity/Allis Chalmers Tractor as viewed from the front turns counter clock wise as viewed from the seat they turn clockwise. If you turn the engine around with the shaft/PTO end facing the seat the engine as viewed from the seat will turn counter clockwise and clockwise if viewed from the front. If your shaft end is turning CCW attach the shaft to the other side of the engine as did Simplicity. If your shaft end turns CW attach a yoke and bolt the drive shaft to that. If you can not connect to the end that turns CW you can reverse the gears in the Bevel gear box.

quote:
So I think if you just change the source of your diesel motor you should be able to do it. Rick.......
So you're suggesting this other member may have found a CW rotating diesel? That would certainly be something to look into... I've seen some of the DEK badged diesels go for as little as $350 :O But Carroll Stream really has caught my eye, especially with some of the good things I've heard about them. Seems like an interesting option considering a machining/full rebuild of one of my Kohlers would prolly be north of $700.

quote:
If you can not connect to the end that turns CW you can reverse the gears in the Bevel gear box.
What might be entailed in reversing the gears? Forgive my bevel gear box ignorance as I have not been inside one yet (only 4x4 transfer cases), but is it as simple as taking the gears out and putting them back in backawards...? Or is it buying a different version of the gears that are meant to run the other direction?

Eric, Here is the link. I did a search for Carrol Stream and found the posting. The original poster renamed his tractor a D10 from a B10. Again there is no mention of needing to convert the rotation of the driveshaft. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109556&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Carroll%2CStream[/url] Rick.........

quote:
There was another member who re-powered with a diesel. I believe he put the motor in a b10.
Rick, Sounds like this may be the thread you were referencing: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109556&SearchTerms=diesel[/url]
quote:

[img]/club2/attach/D10-Allis/simple11.jpg[/img]
driveshaft hooked right up, no cutting required, will see how this works without the floppy disk first
[img]/club2/attach/D10-Allis/simple13.jpg[/img]
Here's the parts that I did not use off the engine. Engine came from carrol stream, 10 hp, shipping included it was delivered to my front step for $550.OO
Looks like once he took the recoil off, that exposed some threaded holes which could accept the driveshaft flange bolts. If so, that would be PERFECT!

Eric, Yes that is the thread I was thinking of. Note I have no knowledge of what the original poster did. I only remembered the post of someone putting a diesel into a Big 10. Glad I could be of help. If you have more questions I would direct them to the original posting of the thread I pointed out. Rick........

quote:
Originally posted by RickS
Eric, Here is the link. I did a search for Carrol Stream and found the posting. The original poster renamed his tractor a D10 from a B10. Again there is no mention of needing to convert the rotation of the driveshaft. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109556&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=Carroll%2CStream[/url] Rick.........
:p HAhahahahahhahah Guess we were both searching :D Thanks again for the heads up to that thread! This may be just the ticket... I do like that Carroll Stream is a local company and has access to replacement parts for their China diesels.

World wide standard rotation for all engines is from the fan side and is clock wise. Air cooled engines have their fans cast in the magneto which we commonly call the flywheel and that turns clockwise. My Jim Dandy has a seperate flywheel and automotive clutch that is attached to th shaft side of the Briggs engine.

Here is a link to the tractor that had a continental engine in it that supposedly has a counter clockwise rotation. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=94009&SearchTerms=continental

I seem to recall that the BGB in the tractor with the Continental engine failed after having it's drive rotation reversed. Something to do with poor/improper lubrication after the modification. Think he wound up parting the tractor out.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
I'm going to ask a stupid question. If the flywheel end turns clockwise facing the driver And you turn the crankshaft end to face driver Doesn't it also turn clockwise ?
Ron, it doesn't, simply said.;)

Learn something every day, if you keep your eyes open... I have learned a lot from this site - dedicated members with a lot of knowledge. Thanks for furthering my education...