Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
srwven

Removing tine assembly

srwven
I was out tilling over the weekend when the tines stopped moving on the last row. The pulley shaft spins so I figured it was a chain. I was able to get the body apart enough to confirm a chain had come apart.Now I need help getting those tine assemblies off the drive shaft. But, I could only get one of the pins out of the shaft and that tine assembly is frozen to the shaft. My last resort is cutting the sucker off then welding it back into shape. Any hints or suggestions?

sammiefish
here is a link... you arent alone... it is tough to get those off if theyve not been off in a while... use a puller with a metal rod inserted into the tube... heat and a BIG hammer... http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=106347&SearchTerms=tiller

srwven
quote:
Originally posted by 427435
When in doubt, use a bigger hammer!! If you have a gas welder, heat the female portion and then apply the big hammer.
Did that, it just laughed at me.

dav
because i had 3 tillers and 3 sets of bearings, i decided to replace them all. each tiller was a bear to disassemble. in each case, my friend heated the shaft with a rosebud and i wailed away with a 6 pound hammer (the 3 pounder was not having any effect) it was a constant fight, gaining 1/8 inch at a time. the bearing were junk by the time we finished due to heat transfer. some damage was done but nothing that was critical to using the tiller i liberally slathered never-seize on and in the parts when reassembling.