Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Throttle linkage

Brettw

My 3112 has inverse Toytota syndrome. The pull out throttle control does not have enough friction left in it to hold position and slowly slides back to a lower RPM towards idle. Is there any good cheap quick fix for this or is it easier to buy a new assembly?

Oops, you're talking FDT and below is for a RBT - the FDT have the twist to lock feature built into the throttle cable. Don't know if you can fix them. Maybe pinch the cable casing to increase friction? If my memory is correct, I believe the tightness of the nut holding the throttle lever to cable plate determines the amount of friction for the throttle cable. The issue is you have to be able to get to the nut which is inside the dash tower behind the gas tank. I think you have to remove the tank to get to the nut. Or maybe if you remove the steering wheel and top dash cover you can get to the nut. Check the parts manual for the throttle lever to cable connection to see if I remember correctly.

I used to use a small vise grips. Pull it out and clip it. Eventually I just put a bow in the rod when fully out. That worked too.

Here a locking throttle cable for a wheel horse. Just cut to length. http://cgi.ebay.com/WheelHorse-Throttle-NEW-8105-or-102119-Wheel-Horse_W0QQitemZ190385682313QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c53def789 Here is a tool to bend the Z back to the cable. http://cgi.ebay.com/Tecumseh-Briggs-Kohler-Honda-Throttle-Z-Bender-Tool_W0QQitemZ360214567741QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53de761b3d They were still making the cable a few years ago.

Oh, they are still making the cable. I found that out today. For just over 50 bucks, they can't afford to stop making it!wah