Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dadsy98

New AC312

Dadsy98
Hello everyone ! I recently bought an AC 312. I Was looking for a quality machine and didn't want to go with the Walmart specials. I found this for sale for only $350.00 ! This has a Kohler 16hp engine (some cutting and bending here) I had quite a time getting it home (future story). Now, The Kohler engine has a rebuild sticker on it. the info is worn away and I don't know the model number of it. I would appreciate any help or photos on the identification. This tractor is the plain jane variety... no electric lift no hydraulics. The shuttle tranny is persnickity when cold, any suggestions? I also have a 36" sears snow blower I'd like to adapt to it. Ideas? I plan to use this regularly (read abuse)on my 6 acre homestead. Naturely mowing but wonder about grading and hauling dirt, wood, small children, etc. I don't have an empty shed for it so any ideas on how to store it and protect it from the elements would be nice. I feel lucky finding this group and look forward helping when I can ! Dadsy, northern Indiana

JimV
Hi,that is probably not the original motor seeing it is a 16 horse and it is marked 312.You might get away with a simple clutch adjustment for the tranny.As far as wood hauling snow plowing and also plowing and harrowing small fields they work great.I have to warn you though,the 300 series are also the hardest to get certain parts for.such as mower parts or blower parts.They are out there but they cost a bit more than other years.I think they are a well built sturdy tractor,good luck with it. Jim V.

MikeES
Dadsy, a knowledgable Kohler engine person would be able to quickly tell you what engine it is. The 10hp (K241) has a shorter stroke and thus a shorter engine (head to crank). The 12hp (K301) and 14hp (K321)are the same, you would need to get inside, the 16hp has a 10 bolt head instead of 9 on the 12 and 14. Hope this helps. Mike S.

Mack
I don't think the shuttle trans. was an option on the 300 series.I've only seen variable or hydro.I like the variable better for garden tilling and plowing.The shuttle works well for mowing when there is alot of forward and backing required(you don't have to clutch & change gears).Any way check fluid level & belts.

Dadsy98
Thanks Jim, Mack, Mike. I think the engine is a K341. I'll check the headbolts today and see. When I mowed I used second gear, then clutched for reverse moves. is that nessesary ? I wouldn't want to damage anything.

Dadsy98
Thanks Jordan. I was looking through the owners manual this morning and noticed the transmission is called "Sliding Spur Gear and Spiral Bevel Gear, 21 Speed Forward and 7 Reverse with Variable Pitch Sheave System" I am assuming from observation that this is a "shuttle" type of tranny... :)

JordB110
I thought the shuttle had 4 forward and 4 reverse with planetary gears. "Sliding Spur Gear and Spiral Bevel Gear, 21 Speed Forward and 7 Reverse with Variable Pitch Sheave System" describes the vari-speed setup, so yes, you need to clutch before changing ANY gears, forward or reverse. If you have a lever on the right side with 7 different notches that is the vari-drive setup. When moving the vari-speed the clutch needs to be engaged(not depressed) with the engine running or damage to the linkage may result. As for storing it, a good tarp securely bungeed down is better than nothing. Jordan

Dadsy98
Jordan, thanks again for the insight. This tractor is hard to shift when cold. Seems to get easier as it gets warm. The manual says to set the varispeed control low when shifting. It's just kinda a pain...

palmrose2
Don't worry about where the vari-speed lever is when shifting. I frankly have no Idea why allis would tell you to do this. I can imagine what a pain it would be to set the vari into low on my 3112-V every time I shifted.