Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dmcluckie

Which older tractor has best value for the buck?

dmcluckie
What's the best used value in the Simplicity/AC world? I'm talking about a bargain machine that is built well, easy to fix, parts available, strong performer, runs forever, etc. -Don

Kent
I personally would vote for the 10 or 12 HP B-series ACs (Landlord 101s through Sovereign 2012s) up until they used variable speeds and hydros. They're simple, they're tanks, they're inexpensive, and most parts are still available either new or used... Varidrives and Vickers add complexity and parts that are no longer available... I think these are getting to the point that their value is actually starting to go up, especially after investing a little TLC. (Some would "blame" the increasing prices for these oldies on this site and this club... instead of that, I like to think of being able to find used parts and attachments at a fraction of the cost of new ones.) Then I'd jump to the AC 710s or 712s or Simplicity 7010s or 7012s with the simple 3-speed... These can still be found in pretty good shape -- pretty cheap -- under $500. I haven't noticed prices going up on these over the last two-three years like I have the older stuff.... One final opinion -- the same Simplicity is usually cheaper than the equivalent Allis, due to the Allis-Chalmers name. But, the Allis-Chalmers has a better chance of holding its value or increasing in value due to its name.... My opinion only -- others WILL LIKELY disagree.

BradW
Don, since I will be working at the dealership you would be getting parts from I would gladly be able to help with any parts you may need for those old machines you would like to get, just keep your eyes open for a deal, most machines I have gotten from members off of this club which I have found to be the best people around,.............. "smilinsam" aka Samuel Ericson "BWALLY" aka Wally Koerable and most of all the person I have had the great fortune of doing business with.."LES"..AKA Les Kreifels, don't ever give up, just get the machine you feel will work best for you, when you get that gut instinct "Geez, that has gotta be mine, I just love it!!" Get that one, when you find the one you like, as always, good luck,-BradW

SmilinSam
My vote for all around simple, tough and useful tractor would be the late 70's early 80's AC 710 or 910 six-speed or the Simplicity 7010 or 7110 six-speed. With these tractors you have more availability for parts, a very simple transmission that allows you a variety of ground speeds to do everything from mowing to rototilling, and you would be using the newer decks which are vastly easier to rebuild than the old ones. I have had a couple of them in the past and I was well pleased with their performance. In fact I'm supposed to look at another here shortly. Smilin Sam

Kent
Sam, The 700/7000 series 6-speeds would have been my #1 choice too, but I couldn't personally speak to the reliability issues -- and I didn't want to recommend something that could be problematic with wear (like the shuttle ones can be)... 6 speeds would definitely increase their versatility! Once you went with the "simple 3-speed" I had to go back to the cast iron Briggs era as #1 for reliability.... Kent

KenW
I believe Kent is right on with the Simplicity/AC price differences. Same machines but a bit more for the name. At auctions you will see the same thing...everyone will bid up the JDs and cubs but pretty much leave the orange alone...you can get some real bargains on good machines. Besides you won't find a better support group or ability to research a garden tractor than right here. Good luck with your choice Ken W

SmilinSam
The six-speed is not much more complex than the straight 3-speed. All they do to get six speeds is to have two pulleys doubled up on the tranny and the gearbox with two belts -one on the High range pair and one on the low range pair. Changing ranges is done simply by sliding the clutch idler pulley under one belt or the other. The lever up on the rt side of the tractor does that through rod and levers. Works slick and there is virtualy nothing to go bad. The rest of the tractor would be worn down to the ground before one would wear the linkage out. The tranny itself is a standard 3-speed. The one the kids are using right now in my own yard has been repowered with a 12HP dual sync Briggs-Smooooooth! Keep Smilin, Sam

jlasater
Well, having picked up a 716H in excellent shape with a 48" mower deck and 36" rear tiller for $750, it'd rank on my list of good values.[A href='http://www.wheatfarm.com']http://www.wheatfarm.com[/a]