Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gr(K)illing Time

ReedS

After the 2110 got the rattle can rebuild it deserved a decent grill. I had the grill that was on the tractor and a spare. Both grills had been abused and were broken at the edges. The black grill was so bent up, twisted and broken that I almost threw it away, but having the welder out I thought I give welding it up a shot, at the very least I figured that I'd set the welder up to fix the red grill (which came with the tractor) that I thought might be in better shape.
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/004.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/005.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/007.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/008.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/009.JPG[/img]
All of the breaks repaired.
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/013.JPG[/img]
After d/a ing.
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/014.JPG[/img]
A coat of paint. The red grill after welding.
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/010.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/011.JPG[/img]
That's as far as I went with this one tonight, I'm thinking with all of the rust on this one that I might blast this one before painting it.

Wow ... that's impressive. I probably would have given up on that one. How did you go about getting the "wrinkles" out and flattening?

Bailey, I used a shot filled soft mallet and my anvil to do most of the straightening. Kinda alternated between that and regular ball peen along with a couple pair of pliers when needed. I did all of the straightening before welding. I used my 4" grinder with a medium disc for both welding prep and finish. And to think that I almost threw that one out!|)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• tadams
    • lt-scir
    • littlefan
    • Johnsteer
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts