Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gr(K)illing Time

ReedS

After the 2110 got the rattle can rebuild it deserved a decent grill. I had the grill that was on the tractor and a spare. Both grills had been abused and were broken at the edges. The black grill was so bent up, twisted and broken that I almost threw it away, but having the welder out I thought I give welding it up a shot, at the very least I figured that I'd set the welder up to fix the red grill (which came with the tractor) that I thought might be in better shape.
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/004.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/005.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/007.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/008.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/009.JPG[/img]
All of the breaks repaired.
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/013.JPG[/img]
After d/a ing.
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/014.JPG[/img]
A coat of paint. The red grill after welding.
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/010.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/011.JPG[/img]
That's as far as I went with this one tonight, I'm thinking with all of the rust on this one that I might blast this one before painting it.

Wow ... that's impressive. I probably would have given up on that one. How did you go about getting the "wrinkles" out and flattening?

Bailey, I used a shot filled soft mallet and my anvil to do most of the straightening. Kinda alternated between that and regular ball peen along with a couple pair of pliers when needed. I did all of the straightening before welding. I used my 4" grinder with a medium disc for both welding prep and finish. And to think that I almost threw that one out!|)