Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HI - Low hole

The older (I think pre-1968) short wheel base tractors had a hi-range lo-range option. This sat outside of the 3-speed tansaxle. Mike S.

Sounds like you have a Broadmoor. There is a optional two speed pulley that goes on in place of the standard drine pulley on the transmission. The engagement lever goes out through that hole and you move it side to side for your high/low range. I have one of those setups on a junker here but its missing the engagement lever assembly. Who knows what was on the previous owners mind, maybe he got tired of hitting his leg on the lever??????? SmilinSam.

Maybe a dumb question but, Why is there a Hi-Low sticker and hole uner the right the right side sheetmetal by the transmission. Nothing is sticking through it.

Just a guess since I am not sure what tractor you are referring to but a high low gear option? Either it switches xmission pulleys or has a hi lo gear in the box? Maybe it was an option removed or never bought. Cubs without the creeper gear option still had the hi lo indicator and empty slot by the gear shift. Bet someone knows for sure tho... Best, Ken W

I asked the same thing myself when I saw a Simplicity 2010 with the sticker on, but no High/Low. I guess the factory put the stickers on all of them. The dealers sold and installed the High/Low as an option... The price lists don't indicate whether or not the factory would actually install the High/Low if the tractor was ordered with it... like they did the center PTO, which was also an option.

My B-10 has the same thing. Sticker, hole and no two speed set-up. Maybe the Hi-Low set-up was supposed to be a dealer installed option?

I have a broadmoor 717 with the same hole and no lever.It was an option on this model according to the 1969 Brochure.