Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

V-twin Honda retrofit for 716H

jlasater

The old Kohler 341 in my 716H is getting very tired and I'm looking around for an engine transplant. Frankly, I'd prefer a Honda over a Briggs but Small Engine Warehouse doesn't list anything for my 716 at this point. Eden doesn't either. Have any of you guys dropped a V-twin Honda into a 716?

Here is a link to a 900 series I did a few years ago. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=70510&SearchTerms=Simplicity,7120 Dan

Other than the oil filter mount, what was the reason for cutting the frame on your conversion? Is the rest of the engine too wide to fit? I think I'd use a remote oil filter setup (two hoses and oil filter mount).

Remember the 900 AC's have a larger frame (longer for sure) than the 700's for the twin engines. I have heard of twins in the 700's it is just tighter.

I cut the frame to simulate the frame cut-outs for the twin cylinder tractors. There was probably clearance issues also but I don't recall the details on that. Dan