Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Oz

Regent steering

Oz
I have a 1990 something Simplicity Regent (hyro). When I turn, it wants to go straight, unless I'm going slow. Do I need to add weight to the front, or adjust the rear drive? Tires are not over inflated, and have good tread. Wheels turn easily. Nice tractor otherwise. Oz

Brettw
Sounds like your differential may be locking up. It's hard to turn when both drive wheels want to turn at the same pace. Some farm tractors had a differential lock that the farmers would also use, aside from better traction, deliberately to help plow a straighter row.

JimH
Bruce, this is something you can check. On the newer Regents and their Allis-Chalmers/Snapper equivalents, it is recommended that you remove and reinstall the rear wheels annually so they don't seize up. I'm wondering if that could make a difference? Good luck and let us know what you find?

JimH
quote:
Originally posted by Oz
Removed the rear wheels last night. Just a plane shaft with a key. I did put anti-seize on before replacing. Oz
Bruce, did it make any difference in the steering?

Oz
Found my problem!! I needed to use my yard cart, so thought I'd take the mower deck off. Woooolaaaaa! Now it steers like a dream, and turns on a dime. I cut my grass on the high side, and the wheels from the deck must drag, or lift the tractor somewhat. Guess I'll have to design some sort of swivel for the deck wheels, to allow them to turn with the tractor. Thanks for the help guys. Just what I need(not), another project. Oz

Al
Hi, The proper setting for the anti-scalp rollers in the front is 1" above the ground at what ever height you are cutting. They are not supposed to come into play unless you turn into a bank or go over a hump. Per factory instructions. Al Eden

Oz
Thanks Al! Reset the front wheels, and now steers great! The grass is a bit shorter than I like, but do-able. Now have you got any winning lottery numbers? :D Oz