Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

20" turf tire questions/recommendations

tripleguy

My 5216H lawn tractor spins the wheels on hills/slopes in my yars (septic mound, culvert, etc.). I'm currently running Carlisle Turf Saver 20x10x10s. Tires are older but have good tread. Does the age of the tire contribute to them being hard and therefore they don't grip as well? Any tire recommendations out there for more traction without tearing up the yard? I'm lugging around a 48" deck which might also contribute to the wheel slipage.

I use Ags on all my tractors and they hold tight as far as traction goes. That's usually the first thing that goes on a newly acquired tractor is the turf tires. Here is an 8 inch and 12 inch set for comparison. I mow with them all the time and they have served me well over the years. Super Lug Carlisle 23x10.5x12

Tru Power Carlisles in the same size

Carlisle Super Lug in a 18x9.5x8

6x12 Carlisle Tru Power

A couple on line places to check are K-Morrow on ebay...here is a link to his ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Morrow-Tire-Supply?_rdc=1 And miller tire who also sells on ebay: http://stores.ebay.com/M-E-Miller-Tire-Co?_rdc=1 Good luck on your quest. This is just my opinion on tire selections. Some have used ATV tires with good results.

For my Allis 700 series the recommended PSI both front and rear is only 8 psi. Just checked my book to verify that.

When I switched from old 23x10.50-12 Carisle Turf Savers to new 23x10.50-12 Carisle Turf Masters I got better traction on my hilly lawn. The old tires, although they had good tread, were very hard even at low air pressures and tended to slip on the hills, especially when turning uphill. I also have a set of Carlisle TruPower Ags I use for snow duty. I have used them a few times to mow in the spring and they definitely provide more traction, but tend to chew up the turf some on the hills. I've had excellent service from Rustybore's; here's a link to the Carlisle Turf Master tire in your size: http://cgi.ebay.com/20x10-00-10-Carlisle-TURF-MASTER-Premium-Turf-tire-/250355972606?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a4a60f9fe PS - Seeing Ron's post below reminded me: I am running about 120 lbs of wheel weights in the summer - experience above is with the wheel weights. Only ran the original turf savers without the wheel weights - lot's of slipping. I'd say the weights made more of a difference than the tire change.

dealer looked at my yard and recommended loading tires. it did help. lug tires also did well and 4 wheel drive has been the best,

Thanks for the replys. All sound like good solutions that can help. I agree - even though tread looks fine, the rubber compound is now hard and slips, especially when turning up a slope.